Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: The Sentient AI?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

    The Sentient AI?

    You have probably heard about this, but the interview is very interesting, and what's obvious is dude has SME level knowledge of the topic vs some rando trying to get attention:

    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    718
    Feedback Score
    0
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DFW, TEXAS
    Posts
    4,218
    Feedback Score
    262 (99%)
    Well......... Here t comes.......

    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.


    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nope, he's educated himself into being an idiot. It's a machine programmed by humans. There is a fundamental and unbridgeable huge gap between "us" and machines. It's just hubris on his part to think that he has helped create something that is sentient.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    718
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Nope, he's educated himself into being an idiot. It's a machine programmed by humans. There is a fundamental and unbridgeable huge gap between "us" and machines. It's just hubris on his part to think that he has helped create something that is sentient.
    An artificial intelligence program has developed its own language and no one can understand it.

    https://nypost.com/2022/06/03/artifi...eepy-language/
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    An artificial intelligence program has developed its own language and no one can understand it.

    https://nypost.com/2022/06/03/artifi...eepy-language/
    The obvious question then is it really a language if they can't understand it.

    The second question is, is that just a function of it's programming?

    And thirdly, do you think that this MACHINE is somehow sentient like you are sentient? Do you think that this MACHINE is somehow alive?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    718
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    The obvious question then is it really a language if they can't understand it.

    The second question is, is that just a function of it's programming?

    And thirdly, do you think that this MACHINE is somehow sentient like you are sentient? Do you think that this MACHINE is somehow alive?
    Sure, why not... considering there are around 10 or so ancient languages that we still can't decipher I don't see why an AI couldn't create a language we can't understand.

    AI by design is programed to evolve, so yeah I guess you could say that on a very basic level of understanding. But I think you are oversimplifying it to fit your argument.

    Do I think AI is sentient? Probably not, we're still a ways off for AI to become self-aware. But do I think it will happen? Yes, absolutely.
    Last edited by tn1911; 07-01-22 at 14:49.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Nope, he's educated himself into being an idiot. It's a machine programmed by humans. There is a fundamental and unbridgeable huge gap between "us" and machines. It's just hubris on his part to think that he has helped create something that is sentient.
    There's no reason at all to make such a conclusion and sentient minds based on chips vs cells is a when, not if proposition.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Sure, why not... considering there are around 10 or so ancient languages that we still can't decipher I don't see why an AI couldn't create a language we can't understand.

    AI by design is programed to evolve, so yeah I guess you could say that on a very basic level of understanding. But I think you are oversimplifying it to fit your argument.

    Do I think AI is sentient? Probably not, we're still a ways off for AI to become self-aware. But do I think it will happen? Yes, absolutely.
    The reason we can't understand ancient languages is because we don't have a key like a Rosetta stone and we don't have 5,000 year old humans to help us interpret.

    OTOH, did they bother to ask the the machine to tell them how the "language" related to English?

    And how would you know that a machine is sentient? By asking it? Wouldn't that again be begging the question? Their so call sentience would just be a function of their programming. You want sentience, we'll just program something we want to believe is sentience into the machine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,761
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Sure, why not... considering there are around 10 or so ancient languages that we still can't decipher I don't see why an AI couldn't create a language we can't understand.

    AI by design is programed to evolve, so yeah I guess you could say that on a very basic level of understanding. But I think you are oversimplifying it to fit your argument.

    Do I think AI is sentient? Probably not,
    we're still a ways off for AI to become self-aware. But do I think it will happen? Yes, absolutely.
    That Google refuses to test, and I believe let him go, is what's very telling. Why not simply find out? That's all he's asking. Watch vid?
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •