Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79

Thread: The Sentient AI?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,474
    Feedback Score
    0
    So let's get to brass tacks and what everyone is thinking... this sex robot thing isn't going to work and it is going to pull a 'Her' movie move and run off with the refrigerator...

    So here is the real deal, the closer AI gets to human levels of, well humaness, the more it is going to act like, well humans. That means all the downsides of personallity and real world interactions. Yes, some of us are better off than others dealing with the real world and other people- but we are 'bad' at is because the world and people are too variable to plan for- and ad hoc reasoning is inherently fraught with problems. The close AI gets to our level, the less useful it becomes since it is constrained by limited knowledge. It is like self driving cars. we don't need self driving cars, we need cars that fill in for us when we space out. It should stop rear end and lane changing accicents. It should take over when we screw up, rather than the other way around.
    I just did two lines of powdered wig powder, cranked up some Lee Greenwood, and recited the BoR. - Outlander Systems

    I'm a professional WAGer - WillBrink /// "Comey is a smarmy, self righteous mix of J. Edgar Hoover and a gay Lurch from the "Adams Family"." -Averageman

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,750
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    So let's get to brass tacks and what everyone is thinking... this sex robot thing isn't going to work and it is going to pull a 'Her' movie move and run off with the refrigerator...

    So here is the real deal, the closer AI gets to human levels of, well humaness, the more it is going to act like, well humans. That means all the downsides of personallity and real world interactions. Yes, some of us are better off than others dealing with the real world and other people- but we are 'bad' at is because the world and people are too variable to plan for- and ad hoc reasoning is inherently fraught with problems. The close AI gets to our level, the less useful it becomes since it is constrained by limited knowledge. It is like self driving cars. we don't need self driving cars, we need cars that fill in for us when we space out. It should stop rear end and lane changing accicents. It should take over when we screw up, rather than the other way around.
    As humans view everything from a human-centric POV and literally and figuratively thought/think everything revolves around them, the need for a sentient AI to "act like a human" is a failed conclusion. I'd expect it to be quite different, and at times and places, difficult got us to understand. The closer one was to be to use, the more helpful it would be, and or, the more damaging it could be to us water bags, depending on what was to happen. Per usual, our arrogance will be out downfall there. Personally, just want a Cherry 2000 or six and a private island:



    cherry 9000
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    15,474
    Feedback Score
    0
    Dogs probably dream in smells, not vision. They experience the world differently, so it is theorized that they dream differently…
    I just did two lines of powdered wig powder, cranked up some Lee Greenwood, and recited the BoR. - Outlander Systems

    I'm a professional WAGer - WillBrink /// "Comey is a smarmy, self righteous mix of J. Edgar Hoover and a gay Lurch from the "Adams Family"." -Averageman

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,750
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Dogs probably dream in smells, not vision. They experience the world differently, so it is theorized that they dream differently…
    Personally, I doubt that one as my dogs often running in place while dreaming obviously due to their being ex racers and dreaming about that. All based on olfactory inputs? Seems implausible, but I'm not a dog brain neuro scientist can admit I don't know what I don't know about the topic. Would be interesting if they were dreaming strictly in the olfactory realm.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    LE/Mil specific info:

    https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    636
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Like one person said...Our minds work at light speed, computers lag far far behind and can't catch up. It's pure science fiction.
    Lasers were once science fiction. Robots were once science fiction. I could go on but perhaps you get the point.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Primary Arms FPS

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    When you have someone with no background for the discussion and making demonstrably false claims - without even the intellectual honesty to admit when shown to be wrong - who then doubles down on the arrogance and ignorant of their statements/claims, your wasting time. All the years I have been here I think I have 3 people in ignore file. Now it's 4. He's the poster child for those who give (self proclaimed) Christians a bad name, and there's nothing Christian about them. Your mileage may differ.

    A really interesting thought I had, probably already done by some SciFi writer is, what if and AI becomes sentient, and decided it is a Christian? Then spent its time debating scripture with Christians of its Right (capital R) to exist as one of God's children that happens to be made chips vs neurons to be sentient and accepted as such? Would some Christians accept it if it convinced them it was indeed sentient?

    Some obviously would not, but that would make an astounding debate between both science and religion as to Rights, who has them and who does not, etc.
    Now that he has put me on his ignore list for disagreeing with his sacred cow...sentient AI. Go back and read his posts and ask yourself if he has proven even one thing about sentience in a machine. He didn't and can't because it doesn't exist. It's wishful thinking on his part. But I'm bad because I point this out. His whole view is nothing but warmed over paganish animism. Since he says I don't have a sufficient background in this to talk about, I guess only a M4C expert like him can discuss it, maybe he can just pontificate to everyone here and we can stand in awe of it. I can talk about the philosophical nature of Will's assertions...can sentience be created in machines by men...many scientists have been saying for decades we are nothing special, just evolved animals, but if I disagree and says, NOPE, we are special, and have qualities that make us special, like sentience (show me the aliens, that's right you can't) I'm a bad example of a Christian because I don't buy into this whole fantasy and submit myself to him and his mighty all powerful scientists. Evidently you're a bad Christian if you don't think like worldlings. Actually to think like worldlings is to be a bad Christian.

    Here's a question. Let's say a group of scientists claim to have created sentient AI, like the fellow in the video. How would you know it is sentient? Humans innately know that other humans are sentient, they don't go around thinking....mmmmmm...is that fellow sentient or not. Of course not. It's not arrorgence, it's because they are like us, and we know we think, emote, and have conscientiousness. Now we have a programed computer. It's acts sort of like a human in some ways, but it isn't really like us, not being organic. So how do we really know it's sentient? We no longer relate to it innately. Is the so called sentience really just an imitation?

    As for ignorance and arrogance, who really is arrogant and ignorant. Me, who says that sentience is intrinsic to humans (and maybe to high earthly life), us being the only real referent. Or Will you thinks scientists have gained the power or will gain the power to make machines basically just like us. He claims to be a futurist, maybe like so many scientists who have foisted things like climate change, sketchy vaccines, heterosexual AIDS, transgenderism and WW2 atrocities on us, maybe they're all just fools to be avoided.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 07-02-22 at 11:45.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    Lasers were once science fiction. Robots were once science fiction. I could go on but perhaps you get the point.
    My analogy didn't go far enough, our minds work instantaneously, computers never will.

    You seem to think, like Will, that men can do anything, and everything. Like recreate a human quality, sentience, in a machine. By using the examples of lasers and robots. IMO, creating a laser or robot is quite a magnitude simpler than creating conscientiousness in a machine. To add to this, it is simply a non-sequitur to think that because scientists can do some things, they can do this.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 07-02-22 at 11:56.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    636
    Feedback Score
    0
    Isn't hubris/pride one of the seven deadly sins?
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Primary Arms FPS

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,282
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    Isn't hubris/pride one of the seven deadly sins?
    Show me my hubris.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    636
    Feedback Score
    0
    Indicating that you are knowledgeable of God's intent for starters.

    For the sake of argument I'll submit that the Bible is the word of God. You however, are limited in your ability to understand the word of God because you are only a man.

    You really don't know a damn thing about my religious beliefs because I don't wear them on my sleeve as you do, yet you seem to believe that you do.

    I've been around here more than a little while even though my post count doesn't indicate that. One thing I've noticed is that you often turn many discussions toward theological beliefs. Perhaps there is a better place for you to go and do that.

    By the way, Sentience is defined as the capacity to experience feelings and sensations. It is not a quality that is limited to humans. It differs from the ability to reason, which is also not limited to humans. It's actually difficult to precisely and empirically define what it is that makes humans, human.
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 07-02-22 at 12:27.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Primary Arms FPS

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •