I'm going to call the new EOTECH Vudu 1-10x28 a swing and a miss.

Overall size, weight and external features the scope is probably solid. In fact I think it is spot on in these regards. The build quality feels good. Turrets have a good solid feel and the power selector moves nicely.

Optically it seems very good. The imagine has some fish eye that mostly drops off around 3x and some softening at the edges that drops off about 5x. The image is otherwise bright and clear.

The downside as is pretty much the case with all these low power FFP optics is that the reticle is simply too small to see at 1x. The reticle does have a "speed ring" that surrounds the actual reticle. This ring is fairly thick and easy enough to see at low power settings but it is too big for any kind of precision. I'd say it would be pretty hard to hold on an A zone at more than maybe 25 yards. Certainly way too big to use with any precision at 100+

Turning on the illumination doesn't make any difference. In fact it may actually make things worse depending on background. It simply isn't bright enough. All it does is change the color from black to red.

The speed ring disappears from view at 6x and the Christmas tree reticle itself becomes decently visible at about 2.5x. So in essence we have a 2.5-10x scope that can be dialed down to 1x for whatever good that might do.

Maybe on heavily overcast days or at dawn and dusk the illumination would make the reticle useful at the lowest settings. But as it sits now I don't see any real benefits. It certainly isn't daylight bright and is barely even daylight visible.

In my opinion EOTECH needs to re-wire the illumination option. Drop the illumination of the external speed ring and concentrate on making the very center aiming point daylight bright. If that's simply not possible without some kind of radical product change then make the speed ring a little bit thicker and reduce its size so that it works as its own stand-alone aiming reference at lower power settings.

If I want a FFP with a reticle I can't see at low power I'll save $900 and buy the 1-8 Strike Eagle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk