Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EOTECH Vudu 1-10x28 Fails!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

EOTECH Vudu 1-10x28 Fails!

I'm going to call the new EOTECH Vudu 1-10x28 a swing and a miss.

Overall size, weight and external features the scope is probably solid. In fact I think it is spot on in these regards. The build quality feels good. Turrets have a good solid feel and the power selector moves nicely.

Optically it seems very good. The imagine has some fish eye that mostly drops off around 3x and some softening at the edges that drops off about 5x. The image is otherwise bright and clear.

The downside as is pretty much the case with all these low power FFP optics is that the reticle is simply too small to see at 1x. The reticle does have a "speed ring" that surrounds the actual reticle. This ring is fairly thick and easy enough to see at low power settings but it is too big for any kind of precision. I'd say it would be pretty hard to hold on an A zone at more than maybe 25 yards. Certainly way too big to use with any precision at 100+

Turning on the illumination doesn't make any difference. In fact it may actually make things worse depending on background. It simply isn't bright enough. All it does is change the color from black to red.

The speed ring disappears from view at 6x and the Christmas tree reticle itself becomes decently visible at about 2.5x. So in essence we have a 2.5-10x scope that can be dialed down to 1x for whatever good that might do.

Maybe on heavily overcast days or at dawn and dusk the illumination would make the reticle useful at the lowest settings. But as it sits now I don't see any real benefits. It certainly isn't daylight bright and is barely even daylight visible.

In my opinion EOTECH needs to re-wire the illumination option. Drop the illumination of the external speed ring and concentrate on making the very center aiming point daylight bright. If that's simply not possible without some kind of radical product change then make the speed ring a little bit thicker and reduce its size so that it works as its own stand-alone aiming reference at lower power settings.

If I want a FFP with a reticle I can't see at low power I'll save $900 and buy the 1-8 Strike Eagle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    It blows my mind that any optic manufacturer still puts out a flagship LPVO without daylight bright illumination. I don’t care about any of your other features, fancy reticles, or anything else unless it has daylight bright illumination first and foremost. If it doesn’t, it’s worthless.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think calling it barely daylight visible is a bit overstated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I think calling it barely daylight visible is a bit overstated.
    It would seem that the illumination is more to check a box than to provide a useful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    LPVO without daylight bright illumination....unless it has daylight bright illumination first and foremost.
    This is my opinion as well. Eotech could really have changed the market here with this scope given its features and price over the Razor. But without useful illumination and/or useful 1x reticle it offers nothing.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    It would seem that the illumination is more to check a box than to provide a useful feature.

This is my opinion as well. Eotech could really have changed the market here with this scope given its features and price over the Razor. But without useful illumination and/or useful 1x reticle it offers nothing.

Got mine coming in next week. Everyone says the illumination is the missing piece when comparing it to a Razor or NF but I knew that before pulling the trigger. Considering I paid $1480 and from what Ive seen its pretty much identical glass quality and eyebox to the Razor Gen III (because it literally comes out of the same factory) I think Ill take the hit on illumination. Its just a back up to my Razor Gen III anyway.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-03-22 at 18:08.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Eh. I can very plainly see it in your photos. It looks like every other etched reticle illumination in whereas there's an LED bouncing light off of a painted or treated etching in glass to produce illumination the shooter can see.

If they did some fiber optic thing where it was retina scorching bright, you'd never use those settings. If the background is too bright, like say sun lit snow, it being black would be the contrast you'd be looking for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    If they did some fiber optic thing where it was retina scorching bright, you'd never use those settings. If the background is too bright, like say sun lit snow, it being black would be the contrast you'd be looking for.
    Sure. But in those instances the brightness can be turned down or completely off.

What's the point of having multiple brightness settings when the max setting isn't bright enough? That might work for nighttime hunting but that's about it.

I'll stand by my original thoughts that the scope needs additional brightness and/or a smaller and heavier "speed ring." The smaller speed ring would be visible in the periphery up probably into the 8x or 10x but I'd take that trade if it meant a more useful reticle at 1x.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The downside as is pretty much the case with all these low power FFP optics is that the reticle is simply too small to see at 1x. The reticle does have a "speed ring" that surrounds the actual reticle. This ring is fairly thick and easy enough to see at low power settings but it is too big for any kind of precision. I'd say it would be pretty hard to hold on an A zone at more than maybe 25 yards. Certainly way too big to use with any precision at 100+

The speed ring disappears from view at 6x and the Christmas tree reticle itself becomes decently visible at about 2.5x. So in essence we have a 2.5-10x scope that can be dialed down to 1x for whatever good that might do.
    Maybe I'm just not as up to speed on modern LPVOs, but isn't that exactly what you'd want? The reticle isn't usable at 1x because you wouldn't need or want to use it at that magnification. It becomes visible and usable at the more magnified settings where you would actually use it. The reverse would be true with the speed ring, you want it visible and usable at close range for snap shots, but you don't want or need it at higher magnification.

This would seem to give exactly what I'd assume would be most useful for an LPVO, a traditional EOTech Circle dot reticle at low power for close range use, and a Christmas treat with circle dot at higher magnification for longer range shots.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 07-04-22 at 08:52. Reason: Add last sentence.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    This would seem to give exactly what I'd assume would be most useful for an LPVO, a traditional EOTech Circle dot reticle at low power for close range use, and a Christmas treat with circle dot at higher magnification for longer range shots.
    Correct. But in this case the "dot" portion of the reticle is extremely small and fine on 1x and is nearly impossible to see depending on the background. Illumination settings are not powerful enough to compensate for the lack of detail/visibility.

There is no information on the speed ring in the owner manual but it seems larger than the one we're all used to in eotech red dot. Regardless, imagine using an XPS-2 or whatever with just the circle only and no central dot as the refined aiming point. It will work fine at closer ranges but it would be quite difficult to use at any precision beyond something like 25 yards.

Just my opinions here. If y'all are happy with Illumination that's not very bright and/or plan on using the scope 99% of the time at higher magnification settings then have at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are some screen shots I borrowed from a youtu.be review. Note the size of the speed ring in relation to the "target."

I assume the illumination is set to max here. Note the size and intensity of the central aiming point in these images. Granted some dimming is likely due to variations in cameras, screens, etc.

Last edited by Tokarev; 07-04-22 at 12:57.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast