Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable gas blocks on SBR's

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Adjustable gas blocks on SBR's

I have two old SBR's that rarely get any range time because the guns were so gassy and snapped like a mofo when shooting. One was a MK18ish gun with 10.5 DD barrel and RIS rail.

The other was an 11.5 build and both were obnoxious to shoot. I bought two Adjustable Gas Blocks from SLR years ago for them.

I suck as a AR15 smith, and didn't have the heart to ask Mark to unfck both my guns for years. But after shooting them a couple weeks ago I was like "Mark this has to be addressed", and he agreed. Thank God he knocked them out without too much difficulty according to Mark.

They both shoot like a dream now with just a few adjustments. Tossing brass at 3:30 and very comfortable to shoot, but not so smooth that reliability suffered. We tested out everything we had. A variety of MM handloads and some Outback 69 SMK's factory and everything ran in both guns. Maybe we take some video next week.

We had Marks son, a friend of mine and two other unexpected visitors, so our video game got xnayed.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    If you want them to be more betterer, drop-in an LMT Enhanced Carrier (carrier only, do not use their bolt).

100% reliability, 'softer' cycling, very little movement in the sight when cycling, and they shoot much cleaner with suppressors.

MJNessler

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    At least one of them has the LMT carrier for sure. I can't feel any difference with carriers, but the AGBs made massive improvements to both guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    my colt 10.3 and 11.5 doesnt seem to have that issue. both are HRT profile if that makes a diffance. both running with geissele airborne CH and geissele BCG with spikes T2 Buffer and spikes buffer springs

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGmechanic View Post
    my colt 10.3 and 11.5 doesnt seem to have that issue.
    Which issue? The snappy bolt speed? Are you running a suppressor?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    All my SBR’s have LMT EBCG and A5 buffers. But the only real way to tame an SBR with old school cans is mitigating gas flow. Via a Clint system or Adjustable Gas Block.

PB

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good call getting those old workhorses back up and running properly. I used to not even think about how gassy a rifle was, as long as it was reliable. Now I've got no desire to run one that isn't tuned properly.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    5.56, man those old AAC cans, which were the gold standard, blow gas back like nobodies biz. And it was literally alarming how snappy those rifles were. Its not like we couldn't manage the recoil but were still like wow, that thing has pop! Shit we used to have to expect as normal is no more.

MJN1957, why would you say dont use LMT bolts? I know people won't run their carriers in 16 plus inch guns but the bolt is a known GTG on any AR15.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Good call getting those old workhorses back up and running properly. I used to not even think about how gassy a rifle was, as long as it was reliable. Now I've got no desire to run one that isn't tuned properly.
    No doubt. When you warm up to a correctly set up gun, gassers are miserable to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    5.56, man those old AAC cans, which were the gold standard, blow gas back like nobodies biz. And it was literally alarming how snappy those rifles were. Its not like we couldn't manage the recoil but were still like wow, that thing has pop! Shit we used to have to expect as normal is no more.

MJN1957, why would you say dont use LMT bolts? I know people won't run their carriers in 16 plus inch guns but the bolt is a known GTG on any AR15.

PB
    I've seen too many issues with their ENHANCED bolt...none at all with their standard bolt.

I should have been clearer in my recommendation. Apologies.

MJN1957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast