Thread: 7.62x39 154gr SP......why?

Feedback Score

7.62x39 154gr SP......why?

A bullet you might normally see in a 7.62x54R, not an AK. Digging through my "stuff" the other night I discovered I had some of that Tula fodder for an AK (or SKS of course).

I looked online and saw where it was getting 2100+fps from a 16" AK. Maybe a 200fps drop from the 123gr loads normally seen in a x39. Actually not too shabby given the caliber it's loaded for and bullet weight. I won't link it but a guy from BARFCOM (Andrew) does a lot of testing and he did this round. Penetrated pretty well and did indeed mushroom.

So, couple of questions:

1) Any of you have experience with this heavy-for-caliber round? i.e. maybe hunting experience?

2) Any thoughts on terminal performance? Would it be good fodder for two-legged critters?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    No experience with that round in particular but the ballistics are basically the same as the .30-30 Winchester. Assuming that the soft point bullet mushrooms and holds together reasonably well it would excel at hunting deer-sized creatures at modest range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    No experience with that round in particular but the ballistics are basically the same as the .30-30 Winchester. Assuming that the soft point bullet mushrooms and holds together reasonably well it would excel at hunting deer-sized creatures at modest range.

Yup. There it is.

I recall testing these in my favorite medium years ago. Mud. They didn't expand like US made 125 gr JSP's, but they did a little, with a flattish nose, and penetrated much more.

Excellent for larger deer and pigs, I'd say.