Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about using your SBR in a defensive shooting scenario.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    When I was younger I thought the HK G3 was the greatest HD gun possible. Later switched to a MP5 for super stealthy suppression. Currently would be a 6933 or 6945 depending what was close.

Yeah, 6933 is what she's currently wearing...I do need to get another break & replace the A2. The thought of shooting it sans after ruining my ears wing shooting without protection in my youth is about as terrifying having to use it on a bad guy.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You can have the exact same firearm as a pistol or as a SBR, only difference being brace or stock, how exactly is the pistol less effective than the SBR? What you SBR guys are saying is "I need this stock to be combat effective" and to get it are willing to pay $200, endure long wait time and put up with onerous regulations to get "this stock". I guess I am not as highly attuned to cheek weld as some, and to boot many will double this cause they need that back up SBR, first world problems.
    The brace zealots always act like $200 is a lot of money like it was in 1934 and that 10-30 days for a form 1 to return is "enduring long wait times".

Since their inception, which was like 2013, there has been a cloud of confusion over the legality of braces, legality of shouldering them, what kind of fore grip can be added and which one will get your dog, your 14 year old son, and your wife shot in the face while she's holding a baby. It's 2022 and there are still dudes out here fretting over this upcoming brace ruling. Some are problem losing sleep over it. They often give a "frum muh cold ded hands" speech about their brace, but if that were true they'd already have a stock on it to begin with. Nobody is gonna keep their brace if they make them illegal.

A SBR allows you to put whatever optic, whatever stock, grip, or coffee maker on your gun that you see fit. "bUt mUh cRoSsIn sTaTe lInEs" lmao just fill out the form ahead of time, it's good for a year. The brace weirdos always make this stuff out to be a bigger deal than it is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    How many choose / have a registered weapon as your primary home defense firearm??

Was curious about what protocol is with LE once a firearm is used in a defensive shooting...I 'assume' that weapon is held during investigation?? Years ago Dad had a pistol stolen from his vehicle & since I did the report & had the make / sn for the report, I got a call 7 years later to come pick it up. Not the same issue but the gun was actually picked up a week after stolen. Just got me to thinking about how it may be possible for a registered gun to be put into evidence. Again, I'm ignorant about what would even happen.

I'm not a big AR collector & my go to is SBR'd...would it make sense to get a basic FN or the like to replace as the go to or am I just overthinking all this??

Gracias.
    I may be missing the point totally here, so correct if wrong, but not clear as to relevance of the registered aspect there. Registered or not, it will be evidence no? Evidence they may simply note as part of the event or evidence they will take, depending on the legal variables.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    What weapon are you most confident and familiar with?

If you need it, you NEED it. If it goes away after you use it -- WHO CARES?! Buy another!
    And what he said!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    The brace zealots always act like $200 is a lot of money like it was in 1934 and that 10-30 days for a form 1 to return is "enduring long wait times".

Since their inception, which was like 2013, there has been a cloud of confusion over the legality of braces, legality of shouldering them, what kind of fore grip can be added and which one will get your dog, your 14 year old son, and your wife shot in the face while she's holding a baby. It's 2022 and there are still dudes out here fretting over this upcoming brace ruling. Some are problem losing sleep over it. They often give a "frum muh cold ded hands" speech about their brace, but if that were true they'd already have a stock on it to begin with. Nobody is gonna keep their brace if they make them illegal.

A SBR allows you to put whatever optic, whatever stock, grip, or coffee maker on your gun that you see fit. "bUt mUh cRoSsIn sTaTe lInEs" lmao just fill out the form ahead of time, it's good for a year. The brace weirdos always make this stuff out to be a bigger deal than it is.
    I'm a bit of one of those, but not for those reasons. It really sticks in my craw to pay the gubment for permission to own an SBR. Two, you're now that much deeper into their system as to what you own and why. That's the same reason I have yet to get a can, paying for the honor if protecting my hearing to keep the ATF in biz...

At this point, via other threads on the topic, I'm just going to have to get over it and get the can. On the former, so far, pistol set up that does not require the stamp of gubment "approval" is more than sufficient.

That could change too, don't know.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I don't consider myself a brace zealot, I just don't see an equal quality braced pistol as any less capable than a SBR and a lot less hassle to possess and use and less of an issue if it gets stolen out of my truck. Right now (could all change next month) I don't see a SBR as being worth the squeeze, not because of the money but because you are placing yourself on a registration list. Yes I know we are all likely being tracked but with NFA items you telling big brother exactly what you have and where you have it, guess that's OK if you trust our gov'mt. YMMV
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm a bit of one of those, but not for those reasons. It really sticks in my craw to pay the gubment for permission to own an SBR. Two, you're now that much deeper into their system as to what you own and why. That's the same reason I have yet to get a can, paying for the honor if protecting my hearing to keep the ATF in biz...

At this point, via other threads on the topic, I'm just going to have to get over it and get the can. On the former, so far, pistol set up that does not require the stamp of gubment "approval" is more than sufficient.

That could change too, don't know.
    Does it stick in your craw to pay federal income taxes? Does it stick in your craw to pay for a CPL? Does it stick in your craw to pay the gubment permission to do a whole host of other things that you do on a regular basis? Do you have a drivers license? Do you pay property taxes? Are you happy with the 11% excise tax you pay on firearms? You seek permission plenty, you just kid yourself that you don't.

Also, just so you know...(The $200 tax stamp doesn't keep the ATF in business, they're funded whether anyone pays for tax stamps or not. They don't keep the $200.)

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    I don't consider myself a brace zealot, I just don't see an equal quality braced pistol as any less capable than a SBR and a lot less hassle to possess and use and less of an issue if it gets stolen out of my truck. Right now (could all change next month) I don't see a SBR as being worth the squeeze, not because of the money but because you are placing yourself on a registration list. Yes I know we are all likely being tracked but with NFA items you telling big brother exactly what you have and where you have it, guess that's OK if you trust our gov'mt. YMMV
    Lol why are you leaving an AR pistol in your truck? That's dumb on many levels. It's also naive to think they have no other means of knowing you possess firearms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does it stick in your craw to pay federal income taxes? Does it stick in your craw to pay for a CPL? Does it stick in your craw to pay the gubment permission to do a whole host of other things that you do on a regular basis? Do you have a drivers license? Do you pay property taxes? Are you happy with the 11% excise tax you pay on firearms? You seek permission plenty, you just kid yourself that you don't.

Also, just so you know...(The $200 tax stamp doesn't keep the ATF in business, they're funded whether anyone pays for tax stamps or not. They don't keep the $200.)
    Not equivalents; some you have to pay (unless you're willing to lose your house, go to jail, etc), some you don't. Where I don't have to, and or where I feel they're especially egregious, I don't. And yes, some of what listed sticks in my craw like a mother f-r but that's a different topic.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-07-22 at 12:14.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Not equivalents; some you have to pay (unless you're willing to lose your house, go to jail, etc), some you don't. Where I don't have to, and or where I feel they're especially egregious, I don't. And yes, some of what listed sticks in my craw like a mother f-r but that's a different topic.
    I don't even want to think about how many $200 tax stamps I could buy with our yearly tax burden. I can tell you that one year of what I pay in taxes far exceeds the amount of money I'll ever fork over in $200 increments for NFA purchases over the course of my lifetime.

People think that braces are this giant middle finger to the ATF/govt. They're not. You're still in 100% compliance with the NFA, and in many cases, not much cheaper. A tax stamp and a Magpul MOE will set you back $230. Some braces are more than that and others are in the $130-170 range. There are a few under $100 but those don't seem to be very popular and not the majority of what I see people using.

The whole reason the NFA exists is because they don't want you or I owning SBRs, silencers, and machine guns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The chances of using a gun in self defense. Especially a rifle, are statistically very low.

If you just shot someone in self defense I’d think losing your gun is the least of your concern, and a small price to pay for saving your own life.

Also one is none and two is one. I’d have a second gun for many reasons. In this case, if you have to use your gun in a legal shooting, you still have another.

Lastly, if you asking ‘can police take a registered firearm in as evidence’ as in can they legally posses it. I’ve heard maybe no. This was in reference to, if police took possession of an illegal supresser in a state they are not legal are they in violation of state law. The answer was that, in the case of this state, the atf would have to come take possession. Maybe that’s the case. However I feel there must be some law in place that makes evidence different. Like it’s in the states possession, not an individual officers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My city PD were cunts about returning my guns. If they hold or take a gun from you, it's harder to get your gun back from them than it is to buy one from an FFL. Bureaucratic imbeciles.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast