Thread: Bamboo (and other) flooring - density

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Bamboo (and other) flooring - density

Hey, any flooring experts in the house…

I’ve got some extra bamboo flooring from an old project. Moved it across the country with me, just because.
    When we installed this stuff a few years ago, it literally broke nails from a nail gun. This made me curious: how well would something like that stop a 223/556 bullet? 9mm? What about other types of flooring material?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My experience is totally the opposite. Maybe our contractor got crap bamboo. The stuff we had in our condo was soft AF.

Are you looking to use it as a BR material or just wondering if it will stop rounds?

Ive designed a bunch of BR teller lines for banks and lobbies but Ive never used flooring as a BR material LOL
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for bringing this up from a curiosity angle. No idea on an answer to your question, but bamboo is fairly hard(as is hickory).

That is an interesting combination considering their use in traditional bow making and the norm with most materials being the harder it is the more brittle it is.

https://www.hursthardwoods.com/hardness-chart/

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    This really is just curiosity. I will probably use it somewhere in a new house, and thought of putting using it on a wall. Just stimulated the thought.

More curiosity: what did you use for teller lines?

Feedback Score
    I used it over two layers of MDF for my reloading/workbench and it has held up very well.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm in the Philippines right now, my in-laws live in the Jungle. No BS, the absolute Jungle.
    Tallest plant in this Jungle, Bamboo. So many uses for it here, they're making everything from houses, eating utensils, scaffolding and everything under the sun.
    Essentially Bamboo is a form of grass and highly invasive.
    I have watched my Mother in Law weave baskets with it, I've also seen those baskets that seem rather thin to me hold 20 kilos of fruit
    So it has some amazing strength.
    edit to add my Wife says 25 kilos. That Baboo is strong for as think and light as it is.
    Last edited by Averageman; 07-11-22 at 07:40.