Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier1 AR15 recommendations for a first time AR purchase

Feedback Score

Tier1 AR15 recommendations for a first time AR purchase

I have a neighbor that wants to get his first AR15 in 556. He is willing to spend $2000+ on the AR. I am knowable on AR's, but I have older knowledge, not the information for newer AR's that are available on the market today. He is looking for a tier1 AR with a 16 inch barrel, with a threaded flash hider. I told him reliability and accuracy should be the main requirements with his purchase.
    I told him to to get a 1/8 WYLDE barrel, also a 2 stage trigger, with a M16 bolt carrier, with a CHF, or nitrated barrel. I am not sure if he would wants a DI, or pistol gas system. What is available in the market today? He wants to eventually put an ACOG on this AR.
    Please give me some recommendations on what features he should consider. Obviously the AR15 should be available to be bought online. I don't want to steer him wrong. Buy once, and buy right.
    Thanks in advance(y)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    I told him to to get a 1/8 WYLDE barrel
    I wouldn't make that a priority.

nitrated barrel.
    I still favor chrome lining myself.

I am not sure if he would wants a DI, or pistol gas system.
    He wants a DI
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Chrome lining still reigns supreme in my opinion. Also, no need to for a two stage trigger in a general purpose rifle. What is his intended use for the weapon?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I won't take a nitrided barrel for free. Wylde chambers are a pain in some cases. The intention of the chamber is almost never realized by most shooters, and I have NO idea why manufacturers keep making so many of them.

And he damned sure wants DI... Although we've been shooting Barrett's REC7 piston AR the last 3 weeks, and it actually works good, and is a sub MOA shooter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Not sure why it obviously needs to be bought online but I’d just tell him to find a BCM with MCMR and ELW barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Easy button: Geissele Super Duty.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I wanted to spend $2000+ on an AR, I would be all over this>>> https://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-C...556_p_240.html

The $850+ I would be saving would be spent on Magpul Gen III and/or Okay Industries Magazines, a dozen at least. Then a 2-Point sling, a Weapon Mounted Light that uses a MLOK mount. An optic will easily eat up what's ever left and then some whether it's a "reliable" red dot sight or a scope. And don't forget a BUIS.

I'm sure your neighbor is setting aside an ammo budget. A thousand rounds for training/range purposes will probably set him back $500 if not more, and "Duty" rounds will be in the $25 to $35 for a box of twenty. Yep, it adds up pretty quick. Oh, I almost forgot, after he gets on a range and finds out his groups aren't as good as he thought they would be, then come the modifications! Oh yeah. Change out the stock, grip, trigger group, add a bipod to steady the shakes, and of course a muzzle device for those super fast follow up shots. Yessiree that rabbit hole can get mighty big in a hurry! Well, good luck to him.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get a Colt and spend the rest on optic of choice.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    If I wanted to spend $2000+ on an AR, I would be all over this>>> https://www.gandrtactical.com/Colt-C...556_p_240.html
    This is a really, really good deal for a great Tier-1 rifle. ^

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    That 6960 or a BCM MCMR ELWF would be choices for me. Keep it simple. Leave a bunch of money for mags, ammo, sling, and optic.
    If you get the 6960 instead of a BCM, used the saved cash to get a nicer trigger, or even BCM’s PNT trigger.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast