Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tier1 AR15 recommendations for a first time AR purchase

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If I had to run away to the hills and could carry only one AR, it would be my KAC. I have others that are just fine, and I don't fanboy, but it shoots and recoils smoothly, balances nicely, and shoots sub MOA (LPR upper, but still).

It sort of seems like the top tier of ARs on the market has been pretty steady for several years. Only SOLGW seems to be stirring up the pile. Radian maybe? I have no experience with them, but it seems reassuring in a way that the people we thought built good guns for the money are keeping that reputation intact, no?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Posting on the internet "Wingham over a DPMS" is "Shit for shit.. I guess" is insulting someone? Sounds like someone should go find a safe place or grow a little skin.
    It’s not skin. It’s basic manners. One notch below polite. Haven’t seen anyone take any damage from utilizing them. Cheers.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I’ve been impressed with Windham Weaponry. Their A2 barrel I used for one of my builds was 4150 steel, and performed great for me. Every one of their guns I’ve picked up seemed to be manufactured with to a higher degree of quality than other guns in their price range. I’ve seen new CR6920s that look like shit compared to anything I’ve seen Windham put out.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 08-09-22 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’ve seen new CR6920s that look like shit compared to anything I’ve seen Windham put out.
    You will have to do better than that, that's the kind of comment normally heard from AR newbies trying to differentiate between products without knowing what matters and what doesn't.

I pretty much ignore people who make comments about AR fit and finish like they're looking at a Remington 700.

Not saying that there aren't tangible fit and finish issues to look for, I've seen issues with castings and forgings, chrome plating on bolt carrier groups, FSB/gas block alignment, etc.

If you articulated that the trigger had a lot more flash on it, that the lower was visibly out of square, had blotchy andonizing, etc, that would have more credibility.

I'm not saying that Wyndham is junk just that:

1. they were late to the AR game, and initial products did not have quality components.
    2. whatever DNA they got from Bushmaster is not viewed as quality due to some very specific history that Bushmaster had
    3. Price point wise you can do a lot better for the money. Where better is defined as tangible, confirmable construction and component differences.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You will have to do better than that, that's the kind of comment normally heard from AR newbies trying to differentiate between products without knowing what matters and what doesn't.

I pretty much ignore people who make comments about AR fit and finish like they're looking at a Remington 700.

Not saying that there aren't tangible fit and finish issues to look for, I've seen issues with castings and forgings, chrome plating on bolt carrier groups, FSB/gas block alignment, etc.

If you articulated that the trigger had a lot more flash on it, that the lower was visibly out of square, had blotchy andonizing, etc, that would have more credibility.

I'm not saying that Wyndham is junk just that:

1. they were late to the AR game, and initial products did not have quality components.
    2. whatever DNA they got from Bushmaster is not viewed as quality due to some very specific history that Bushmaster had
    3. Price point wise you can do a lot better for the money. Where better is defined as tangible, confirmable construction and component differences.
    That’s the kind of comment normally heard from the Neo Fudds (“but muh Colts are the bestest, so they get a pass when they churn out crap”) who are trying to differentiate between products without recognizing that time and technology have moved on. Colt these days is just another parts bin assembler, who outsources their parts to the same companies everyone else outsources their parts to. The only thing they have over other basic bitch M-forgeries is a 1-7 twist barrel.

Whatever DNA Colt got from the mil-contract days is all dried up, as they don’t have that contract anymore.

I’ll articulate this: My duty weapon is a new Colt (delivered 2 years ago), and it came with a barrel nut that was not timed properly, causing the KAC (P&S) rail to be crooked.

Colt isn’t the Golden God of AR-15s anymore.

1.) Who cares if they were late to the game? Furthermore I don’t care what Windham did ten years ago when they first started, because currently they use Mil-B 11595E 4150 steel for their barrels, and MPI C158 or 9310 for their bolts, and 7075 receivers. That’s all pretty much industry standard. The 20” Mil-B 11595E 4150 1x7 Windham barrel I used ran flawlessly for me. I would expect their 14.5” Mil-B 11595E 4150 1x7 barrel to perform equally as well.
    2.) I don’t care what Bushmaster did over 10 years ago either.
    3.) Name a complete AR-15 that retails for $850.00 that has tangible, confirmable construction, and component differences to make it better than what Windham currently produces.

If you’re going to suggest that spending an extra $300.00 to get another parts bin special CR6920 is money well spent, I will disagree. If you’re going to jump up in price you can do a lot better than the Colt for the money. For example a SOLGW Patrol sells for about the same money as the Colt, and I would expect that to be a much better gun given SOLGW’s reputation for quality. Would I suggest to the average buyer that they purchase a SOLGW Patrol over a Windham MPC if they have the money?? You bet!! I consider that an extra $300-$400 well spent. Would I say the same about spending the extra $300 on a CR6920? No I wouldn’t, because I don’t think a CR6920 offers anything significant over the $850.00 Windham other than a 1x7 twist barrel, and nostalgic engravings.

I have to admit I used to drink the Colt Koolaid, but time has moved on. The gap that used to separate Colt from the rest isn’t as wide as it used to be. Colt cult Neo Fudds..

Feedback Score
    What is a parts bin special?
    What ar is not that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What is a parts bin special?
    What ar is not that?
    Centurion. They make their barrels, rails, uppers and lowers in house. To name one. Pretty sure DD is close to the same as well. There are others but these are the ones that immediately come to mind

Feedback Score
    That’s the kind of comment normally heard from the Neo Fudds (“but muh Colts are the bestest, so they get a pass when they churn out crap”) who are trying to differentiate between products without recognizing that time and technology have moved on. Colt these days is just another parts bin assembler, who outsources their parts to the same companies everyone else outsources their parts to. The only thing they have over other basic bitch M-forgeries is a 1-7 twist barrel.

Whatever DNA Colt got from the mil-contract days is all dried up, as they don’t have that contract anymore.

I’ll articulate this: My duty weapon is a new Colt (delivered 2 years ago), and it came with a barrel nut that was not timed properly, causing the KAC (P&S) rail to be crooked.

1.) Who cares if they were late to the game? Furthermore I don’t care what Windham did ten years ago when they first started, because currently they use Mil-B 11595E 4150 steel for their barrels, and MPI C158 or 9310 for their bolts, and 7075 receivers. That’s all pretty much industry standard. The 20” Mil-B 11595E 4150 1x7 Windham barrel I used ran flawlessly for me. I would expect their 14.5” Mil-B 11595E 4150 1x7 barrel to perform equally as well.
    3.) Name a complete AR-15 that retails for $850.00 that has tangible, confirmable construction, and component differences to make it better than what Windham currently produces.

If you’re going to suggest that spending an extra $300.00 to get another parts bin special CR6920 is money well spent, I will disagree. If you’re going to jump up in price you can do a lot better than the Colt for the money. For example a SOLGW Patrol sells for about the same money as the Colt, and I would expect that to be a much better gun given SOLGW’s reputation for quality. Would I suggest to the average buyer that they purchase a SOLGW Patrol over a Windham MPC if they have the money?? You bet!! I consider that an extra $300-$400 well spent. Would I say the same about spending the extra $300 on a CR6920? No I wouldn’t, because I don’t think a CR6920 offers anything significant over the $850.00 Windham other than a 1x7 twist barrel, and nostalgic engravings.

I have to admit I used to drink the Colt Koolaid, but time has moved on. The gap that used to separate Colt from the rest isn’t as wide as it used to be. Colt cult Neo Fudds..
    Did you have a bad day? You really hate colt. Colts are still made well. Outsourcing parts? Yea the do some of that but are made to spec. Most companies do this. Even your Gods gift to the world SOLGW which you fail to mention.

Colt still has contracts all over the world. To include U.S. not at the level of during the war obviously. You actually had a pretty good post going but damn your bias was just over the top. Don’t post disinformation either. You say Colts suck now. I have not seen this. I see them shot full auto and they run just like they always have. I don’t get into freaking roll marks and all that BS. I am a shooter. Colts run. I am an LMT guy personally but Colts is no slouch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    If I had to run away to the hills and could carry only one AR, it would be my KAC. I have others that are just fine, and I don't fanboy, but it shoots and recoils smoothly, balances nicely, and shoots sub MOA (LPR upper, but still).

It sort of seems like the top tier of ARs on the market has been pretty steady for several years. Only SOLGW seems to be stirring up the pile. Radian maybe? I have no experience with them, but it seems reassuring in a way that the people we thought built good guns for the money are keeping that reputation intact, no?
    I would roll an LMT but would feel just as protected with a Colt or Sig MCX, 516

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm not sure where you're getting the extra $300 figure because you can get a 6920 for $999 or an OEM for $799 right now in stock at AU. It'd be tough to go wrong taking that route for a first time AR purchase.
    Last edited by kirkland; 08-12-22 at 13:22.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast