Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tier1 AR15 recommendations for a first time AR purchase

Feedback Score
    Top teir never in stock. I would build one. Its fun and you learn a lot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    BCM
    LMT
    DD
    Geissele Super Duty
    Colt ( That G&R gun is good and for the price really good )
    Used KAC if you can find one

I would say these days just buy a gun that is already decked out with rail etc. And tell him to disregard your other suggestions, but do it politely please.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Easy button: Geissele Super Duty.
    Lots of QC issues right now. TOS has an ongoing thread where several people have non functional guns, including me. I think the chambers are too tight. There’s also potential problems with their stand alone barrel gas port sizes. And I heard rumors of issues back in August, not much evidence on that but from a likely trustworthy source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Lots of QC issues right now. TOS has an ongoing thread where several people have non functional guns, including me. I think the chambers are too tight. There’s also potential problems with their stand alone barrel gas port sizes. And I heard rumors of issues back in August, not much evidence on that but from a likely trustworthy source.

I’m starting to think I bought a Unicorn G rifle. Mine is stupid accurate and gassed to perfection. I saw threads on Snipershide and one member pm’d me his troubles with his barrel being out of speck. It’s sad because G is known to be a spot on mfg. in all other endeavors.

PB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ruh roh!
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Can confirm. I wasn’t going to mention it but I have a short chambered 14.5” G barrel. Sent it in, looks like they replaced it with a shorter chambered barrel as 55gr M193 would get jammed in it. Before only 77gr MK262Mod1 did.

That G upper currently has a used 16” carbine gas 6920 barrel in it and runs like a top. I broke my rule of only shooting Colt uppers and proved myself right again…
    Last edited by 17K; 07-07-22 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have him get a Centurion and stop thinking about it.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest sionics, BCM, colt and SOLGW.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score

Tier1 AR15 recommendations for a first time AR purchase

Not sure why it obviously needs to be bought online but I’d just tell him to find a BCM with MCMR and ELW barrel.

I have this exact rifle and it is excellent. I also just acquired a Larue PredaOBR and man, what an AR! The Larue is almost twice the BCM (although I got it used, never fired for a lot less). If I didn’t care about money, I’d get the Larue straight from them. But the BCM is a close second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by rlewpolar; 07-08-22 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    "Top shelf" is going to be a KAC.

If he doesnt want that, it depends what he wants to do:
    Does he want to sit at a bench and shoot far/small targets? A gun for HD, or an all-around gp rifle?

For something well-rounded and middle of the road, the colt, DD, and centurion are a great options. Both have very good bcgs and barrels.

Bcm is also great but I wasnt as impressed with the accuracy, though its well within "acceptable" accuracy.

To be fair, I may have just not tested it enough yet, but thats my current ranking.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast