Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why aren’t there more OTMs in 5.56

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    @Sinister: I agree that a primer crimp would help a lot. I regularly use 450 or #41 primers so that component isn't the issue, but I dont know how to crimp my own primers.

Would you mind sharing your load with Varget? I just got a jug and worked up to 24.5 gr under a 77SMK and had low/no pressure signs. Haven't checked for a Node yet, and wondering what is popular. If you dont want to post the load publicly a PM will do.
    I shoot 24 -- I use an H3 buffer for mid-lengths and an XH for 20-inch rifles (with collapsing stocks).

I used to use 24.5 but it crunches powder when you seat a 77.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The vast majority of heavy OTMs seem to be .223. Why don’t more companies make 5.56 variants? My basic understanding of ballistics would make me think that if a shooter was trying to push distance and possibly fight wind, a higher pressure loading would increase muzzle velocity and achieve those effects better. Magtechs 262 clone is one of the few that seems like it’s moving quickly. Why not more? ETA - meant IMI’s 262 clone, not Magtech. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In no particular order,

Shooters use 5.56 ammo in .223 bolt guns or suspect chambers locking them up, dropping primers, calling to complain. I think this is less than cited but still a factor.
    Shooter knowledge or ability isn't enough to produce the gain. Normal .223 pressures and velocities are fine for those.
    Shooters stretching loads out and seeing the gains are probably reloading.
    Faster isn't always better. Bullets may prefer a certain velocity window. (Even when present, may be small enough to escape knowledge/ability.)
    When we talk about a "5.56" variant, are we talking about just speed, or other stuff too?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Faster isn't always better. Bullets may prefer a certain velocity window.
    This. We load our OTMs slower than we could because the accuracy is a little better for us.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I generally stay away from 5.56 MAX loads, but I do exceed .223 Rem pressure loads. I'm looking for a balance of velocity, accuracy, and long brass life.

I load my 77 grain OTM's with 24.2 grains of TAC (LC brass, CCI 450 primers, 2.250" COAL). Book 5.56 MAX is 24.8 of TAC. Book .223 Rem MAX is 23.4 of TAC.

In other news, I recently got 500 new Starline 5.56 cases, so I will be working up some new loads with those. Surprisingly I found the new Starline cases only 1 grain on average heavier than my average LC brass cases.

I haven't done any water capacity tests with these new cases until I have some fired Starline brass. Too hot out right now for this old man. I think I'll wait until fall.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 07-11-22 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    I generally stay away from 5.56 MAX loads, but I do exceed .223 Rem pressure loads. I'm looking for a balance of velocity, accuracy, and long brass life.
    That's what I do too. Lately though, I've been running current production CC 41s. And it seems like no matter how much I reduce the load, the brass is still roasted.... swipes, popped primers, etc. I literally pick up my brass and toss it all into the recycle bucket. ZERO chance of getting more use out of it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's what I do too. Lately though, I've been running current production CC 41s. And it seems like no matter how much I reduce the load, the brass is still roasted.... swipes, popped primers, etc. I literally pick up my brass and toss it all into the recycle bucket. ZERO chance of getting more use out of it.
    Is that with H322 exclusively or with any powders your currently using? What are your velocities looking like with this new lot of CCI 41's??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Is that with H322 exclusively or with any powders your currently using? What are your velocities looking like with this new lot of CCI 41's??
    I haven't really insulted H322 with those annoying ass primers. I've shot TAC and IMR 3031. Backed the 3031 off a half grain (from my Wolf SRM load) and still get swipes and a popped primer with 69 gr bullets only going 2850 out of a 20" bolt gun. 2850 is a decent velocity, but shouldn't be popping primers.

The factory Norma 69s were over 2900 fps for reference.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mark, you think CCI 41’s have gotten significantly hotter in the past few years? That might explain my increasing velocity woes and wrecked primer pockets.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-12-22 at 06:23. Reason: Grammar hard.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Mark, you think CCI 41’s have gotten significantly hotter in the past few years? That might explain my increasing velocity and woes and wrecked primer pockets.
    I never tried them before so I have no history/frame of reference. There's a guy here, tommeboy, who claimed there's reports of 41s are popping on other forums.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For what it's worth, chasing an extra 50-75 fps isn't worth the potential problems. Do the wind on the difference and you will see 95% of folks most likely can't work the wind difference let alone the accuracy of the "system"

It just worked out this way for accuracy, my bolt gun is 23.6 8208 with the 77 TMK and the LMT 20" is 23.2. The semi is at mag length and bolt is longer, no pressure and at 3 loads, annealed each time. Both FGMM 205's

I always laugh at folks to dumb to find 5.56 online and will come in the shop asking for it and if we don't have it say "I only shoot 5.56 in my gun" -well guess your not shooting then are you? Keep in mind these folks are shooting at 25 yards.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast