Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why aren’t there more OTMs in 5.56

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The reports I was seeing with the 41 primers popping was with some of the new wiz bang cartridges using small rifle primers. Part of what was found out was the brass was soft and less internal capacity than previous batches. At least with one guy anyway. Several other I seen were using 223 and popping primers. One was blanking, the other was blowing pockets. The one with the pockets posted and never came back to update.

My take on this is everything made in the last 2 years is suspect. QC no matter who it is get compromised when mad $ is to be made in big corporations.

As an example. I just got a bag of starline 556 brass to try. Local place had them. Got them home and they all measure 1.742"-1.746". I have not weighed them as I have them loaded up already for testing. This is the first time I have ever bought 223/556 brass. I normally use range brass for everything.

Another example, I have had 2 BA barrels and 2 Wilson Arms barrels I have sent back as they have bad chambers, bores with voids in the rifling. These were in the last year.
    I just got 500 new 5.56mm Starline cases direct from them. Their item #3440 - 5.56x45mm Brass clearly states 1.745" - 1.75" O.A.L Mine measure right in that range as I sampled a random 30 or so. So I don't think that the OAL is a problem. As to weight, they weighed on an average about 1 grain more than the average for Lake City Brass I have on hand. I have not measured capacity, as I have not fired any yet, as I usually measure capacity with once fired brass.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/556x45mm-brass
    Last edited by BobinNC; 07-13-22 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I usually don't care about the length for my gas guns if they are a little short. But I was going to use these mainly for my bolt gun that I have been neglecting. I like to run my brass a little long but under max length. I feel it supports the bullet in the case and chamber longer. Having short necks can cause accuracy problems.

And the chamber in my bolt gun is really tight so brass has never grown very much even FL sizing every time. I set the head space on it very tight also. It is a savage so that is easy to do.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234