Thread: Disco32 DISCUS

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Disco32 DISCUS

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-disco32-discus/

https://www.disco32.com/products/discus

This thing is legit. I used it during a 5k run n gun yesterday. Just used the controls on my Garmin to control the music on my phone while running and kept the Discus on and connected to my AMPs the whole time. Haven’t tried a phone call but will today. I expect it’ll work as well as everything else so far. Won’t be able to test it along with a radio and PTT for the foreseeable further though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I just received mine a few days ago and so far I've had a 3 hour conversation on it while walking my property at night. It's pretty awesome. It works well using Signal apps calling feature as well, which I've also tested.

Not sure if this applies to other phones on the market, but my Samsung has an "Adapt Sound" feature built in. You go to Settings> Sounds & Vibration > Sound Quality & Effects > Adapt Sound. It basically runs a hearing tone test and individually adjusts the audio to each ear. It made a noticeable difference with my AMPs and sounds more crisp and clear now.

I mounted the Discus on the back of my helmet. I'm going to need a U174 extension cable of some type I think to make that setup work long term. I looked on Gentex website but they don't seem to offer a simple male/female U174 extension cable. It seems like it will add quite a bit of bulk plugging directly into the PTT but that's just an assumption as I don't have my comms completely setup just yet.

I'm surprised something so simple and useful wasn't available years ago. It's a pretty cool little gadget for sure.

Edit: My only gripe so far is that I wish they'd have designed the battery compartment a little different. I feel like a hinged door with a safety latch (similar to a small tackle box latch) and an o-ring seal around the door would be a better solution. I'm wondering how well it'll do in the elements.
    Last edited by Rogue556; 07-10-22 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Why am I just now hearing about this

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Disco32 DISCUS

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why am I just now hearing about this
    It’s pretty new, the black one straight from the company has only been out for a few weeks. I think. The tan one that’s exclusive to TNVC just sold out of their first shipment as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I just received mine a few days ago and so far I've had a 3 hour conversation on it while walking my property at night. It's pretty awesome. It works well using Signal apps calling feature as well, which I've also tested.

Not sure if this applies to other phones on the market, but my Samsung has an "Adapt Sound" feature built in. You go to Settings> Sounds & Vibration > Sound Quality & Effects > Adapt Sound. It basically runs a hearing tone test and individually adjusts the audio to each ear. It made a noticeable difference with my AMPs and sounds more crisp and clear now.

I mounted the Discus on the back of my helmet. I'm going to need a U174 extension cable of some type I think to make that setup work long term. I looked on Gentex website but they don't seem to offer a simple male/female U174 extension cable. It seems like it will add quite a bit of bulk plugging directly into the PTT but that's just an assumption as I don't have my comms completely setup just yet.

I'm surprised something so simple and useful wasn't available years ago. It's a pretty cool little gadget for sure.

Edit: My only gripe so far is that I wish they'd have designed the battery compartment a little different. I feel like a hinged door with a safety latch (similar to a small tackle box latch) and an o-ring seal around the door would be a better solution. I'm wondering how well it'll do in the elements.
    Any specific reason you chose the back of your helmet? I got mine on Friday and had to use it yesterday so I didn’t have much time to try out different options. I basically stuffed it into a radio pouch similar to the Spiritus expander wing. I have loops on my scarab shoulder pads that I threaded the down lead through to keep it in place and that worked fine. I didn’t rotate my amps onto my helmet at all though, I suspect there wouldn’t have been enough slack for that. Also my rifle sling on top of the down lead wire was the only pinch point I had in my entire kit setup so I’m hoping to find a way around that.

Last edited by Wake27; 07-10-22 at 10:46.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Waiting for a version that can route audio from my connected EUD through the net.

The Discus is a great first attempt.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Waiting for a version that can route audio from my connected EUD through the net.

The Discus is a great first attempt.
    That’d be super cool. I wonder how far away that tech is though.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Hopefully, not very.

I spoke with Disco32, and there’s some AFSOC dudes running a modified version of the Discus with MBITRs.

My main want from the Discus 2.0 is to be able to pipe Hammer from ATAK through a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’d be super cool. I wonder how far away that tech is though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Any specific reason you chose the back of your helmet? I got mine on Friday and had to use it yesterday so I didn’t have much time to try out different options. I basically stuffed it into a radio pouch similar to the Spiritus expander wing. I have loops on my scarab shoulder pads that I threaded the down lead through to keep it in place and that worked fine. I didn’t rotate my amps onto my helmet at all though, I suspect there wouldn’t have been enough slack for that. Also my rifle sling on top of the down lead wire was the only pinch point I had in my entire kit setup so I’m hoping to find a way around that.

Honestly, just more out of convenience. I have a TNVC Mohawk MK2 on the back of my helmet, and I was able to mount the Discus underneath of it. It actually takes up surprisingly little space there, and it's nice being able to just throw the helmet on without having to mess with cables. I'll likely come up with a better solution at some point.

I also have a SCARAB and have contemplated how I'm going to set it up once I figure out what route I'm going with comms. If I can hunt down a quality 18"-24" extension cable to run from the Discus to the PTT, then I may just keep the Discus on the helmet and just run the extension cable through the shoulder pad sleeves similarly to how you routed your downlead.

Here's how I have mine mounted currently.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rogue556; 07-13-22 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Honestly, just more out of convenience. I have a TNVC Mohawk MK2 on the back of my helmet, and I was able to mount the Discus underneath of it. It actually takes up surprisingly little space there, and it's nice being able to just throw the helmet on without having to mess with cables. I'll likely come up with a better solution at some point.

I also have a SCARAB and have contemplated how I'm going to set it up once I figure out what route I'm going with comms. If I can hunt down a quality 18"-24" extension cable to run from the Discus to the PTT, then I may just keep the Discus on the helmet and just run the extension cable through the shoulder pad sleeves similarly to how you routed your downlead.

Here's how I have mine mounted currently.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    Nice, thanks. That seems super convenient if just using the Bluetooth and not a PTT. I’ll be interested to see what you come up with for the extension, it’ll probably be some time before I’m worried about PTT function again, sadly.

Sic semper tyrannis.