Thread: Home Hardening & Security Measures

Feedback Score

Home Hardening & Security Measures

Anyone know what is the best quality door jamb hardening system. I see Door Armor MAX and Door Devil as two that are mentioned a lot.

Also, any recommendations on best options for window film, solid core doors, storm doors, dead bolts, window security, other tips? Anything of value is appreciated.

Things change and I don't want to go with something that has been bested by better options.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have hurricane impact windows/doors which are quite secure, double medico locks on all doors, cameras, alarm system, thorny plants near all windows, ring door bells, and dogs; that's about all I can do to 'harden' up. Also live in a 24/7 armed guard gated community. A bit overcautious perhaps, but I sleep well at night, though nothing is 100%. You would have to shop your local impact window companies in your area, BBB,yelp,neighbor reviews etc. Companies vary by locale.
    Last edited by Tanner; 07-10-22 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    For the door jamb/frame I used the Strikemaster II Pro on both my front and side garage doors. They seem very solid and installation was very straightforward. I didn't have to do any modification to the door or frame to get them to fit either. Definitely worth taking a look at

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Replace all hinge and strike plate screws with real ones.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good info already. I’ll add …

-Nothing less than 4” screws or longer, but make sure to ‘tap drill’ for them first (for the screw body size) or else you risk pulling the door jamb ‘in’.

-If any outswinging doors, open the door open wide. Drill through the hinge plate on the jamb. Insert long screw leaving ~1/2” of screw body sticking out before the screw head. Cut off the screw head, file what’s left somewhat rounded or at least remove sharp edges. Close door SLOWLY and mark the other hinge plate where the screw sticking out hits it. Drill oversize or oblong/screw hole so that it enters it on the angle as the door swings closed. Recommend you do one hinge plate at a time.

-Outdoor lighting is a must … lights, camera, NON-action (hopefully)

-Security is not ‘convenient’ - If it’s too easy to use-apply, it ain’t secure!

-You CANNOT keep them out … your goal is to make them GO NEXT DOOR or at least somewhere else!
    Last edited by Lefty223; 07-13-22 at 14:25.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Metal security doors front and rear with deadbolts that go into metal frame---only approachable front window (basement) with metal security screen---fenced-in yard (6 foot) that goes right up to front of house on both sides and contains three large, territorial rescue dogs... Yeah, nothing is 100% effective, but you stack the odds in your favor... And, of course, an 870 to start with and your usual sidearm...

Feedback Score
    What does everyone think of that 4 mil security film you stick on then seal the edges with silicone?

Feedback Score
    A properly installed drop/slide bar will be way more secure than even the best jamb upgrades, far less expensive as well.

Feedback Score
    When placing cameras, be mindful that you want to try and capture faces. Far to often the pics and video we get is from a camera high up and looking down. Great for seeing what the person is doing but bad for any hope of identifying them.

Feedback Score
    It took me time to choose the door for our house. I surfed the Internet, checked forums, and having read the mastercraft doors reviews here, I chose this brand. Actually, no regrets. The quality is great. I ordered all the needed doors in one place (so I saved on the shipping). Moreover, their doors are available in wood, fiberglass, or steel.
    Last edited by Gregory234; 03-23-23 at 05:23.