Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.5 midlenth gas port size?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There’s not even much of a standard for 12.5 carbine, I think too few brands use the 12.5 for there to be a large sample to draw from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My next upper project is going to be a 12.5 mid FSB setup to run suppressed full time. I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to do it, but I'll probably buy a 16" mid length barrel from a reputable manufacturer and have D Wilson MFG chop it, then see how it runs and adjust the gas with a BRT EZTune gas tube if needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    My next upper project is going to be a 12.5 mid FSB setup to run suppressed full time. I haven't yet worked out how I'm going to do it, but I'll probably buy a 16" mid length barrel from a reputable manufacturer and have D Wilson MFG chop it, then see how it runs and adjust the gas with a BRT EZTune gas tube if needed.
    If anything you may need to open up the gas port on a midlenth 16, I doubt you'll have to try to tighten it with a BRT tube or adjustable gas block. Check gas port size before you buy it. I'm thinking.075 ish will be average for a 16 midlenth. Shortening the barrel usually means opening up gas port to make up loss pressure especially if dwell time is shorter, like on a midlenth.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had my 16” white oak barrel cut to 13”. When it was cut the gas port was measured at .076. Had about 8k down the pipe prior to cutting.

Initially it was finicky. Has been 100% reliable (with and without a can) for about 5k rounds after moving to an A5 buffer setup with vltor h2 buffer and Geissele rifle spring. Without the can and a yhm 3 port brake it also has near zero recoil although loud as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Have you guys considered this barrel below? Can't do an FSB though. I was trying to find a Triarc 12.5 mid but ended up with this 12.5 EXC BRT in a mini-recce... that I never shoot.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BR...rel-p258933205

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    If anything you may need to open up the gas port on a midlenth 16, I doubt you'll have to try to tighten it with a BRT tube or adjustable gas block. Check gas port size before you buy it. I'm thinking.075 ish will be average for a 16 midlenth. Shortening the barrel usually means opening up gas port to make up loss pressure especially if dwell time is shorter, like on a midlenth.
    I doubt it will need to be opened up to run suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Have you guys considered this barrel below? Can't do an FSB though. I was trying to find a Triarc 12.5 mid but ended up with this 12.5 EXC BRT in a mini-recce... that I never shoot.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BR...rel-p258933205

Probably a great barrel just not what I'm looking for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never ran a suppressor, but makes sense you'll be adding what you cut off then some to barrel length. Makes sense not have to open port size.
    I doubt you'll have to worry about it being over gassed.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I doubt it will need to be opened up to run suppressed.
    You can definitely reduce the gas for suppressed only. It will make a very smooth shooter if you do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12