Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka Goes Bananas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Sri Lanka is just the first. I believe this will be repeated in a lot of Asia, more of Africa, and also a few places south of the Rio Grande.
    I believe there were food riots in Peru and Chile within the past year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Among other places. But Sri Lanka is the first government to fall

Feedback Score
    Don't we get a lot of our produce from overseas when it is 'off season'? When people in the US see empty produce bins in the winter and crappy veggies.. oh, the Whole FOods crowd will lose their corn....
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    The Philippines new President Marcos is pushing hard to increase inexpensive rice production.
    Rice might be 20% of what these folks eat, they sell rice in McDonald's here.
    Naturally the opposition is out there saying how bad a rice diet is for people.
    What they don't understand is when the rubber hits the road all rice imports could stop overnight and then your left with 50% of the rice you were counting suddenly not showing up
    They might not be able to move it or it's staying in Vietnam or Thailand to feed people domestically.
    Last edited by Averageman; 07-11-22 at 22:21.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    What they don't understand is when the rubber hits the road all rice imports could stop overnight and then your left with 50% of the rice you were counting suddenly not showing up
    They might not be able to move it or it's staying in Vietnam or Thailand to feed people domestically.
    This is actually part of what has happened to cause the current events in SrL - India is seeing the writing on the wall with the upcoming food/fertilizer shortages, and shut down exports of rice. SrL was one of their biggest customers....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A couple of things really surprised me here.
    A) Ferdinand and Emelda's boy ran for President and won. I mean what are the odds he would come back and show his face, let alone run and win the Presidency after the family fiasco.
    B) The Filipino Farmers are fairly well organized. They may live rough, but they have their own Co-Ops, banks and a retirement system.
    I'm not sure what Marcos has up his sleeve just yet, but he wants to run food production by himself. Perhaps he sees the writing on the wall and is trying to get in front of this before it's a Sri Lanka level emergency.
    Also China's Navy is putting pressure on Philippine fishermen. Mysteriously a Philippine Coast Guard vessel capsized and burned recently.
    Last edited by Averageman; 07-12-22 at 02:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Don't we get a lot of our produce from overseas when it is 'off season'? When people in the US see empty produce bins in the winter and crappy veggies.. oh, the Whole FOods crowd will lose their corn....
    I believe the USA will see some food shortages, meaning you will go to the store and the shelf will be empty of somethings. But I don't see us with starvation as an issue. EBT cards not keeping up with inflation, that is going to be a problem

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Americans call 911 when MickyD runs out of McNuggets, some women just trashed a restaurant because they started charging for extra sauce, does not bode well for when things start to get really bad.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I saw something about 4 Females in. NY restaurant going nuts about being charged a buck and a half for extra sauce so the assaulted staff and tore the place to shreds.
    That's what happens when people live a lie of no accountability. Those people need CA " Come to Jesus Moment" where someone delivers a beating of biblical proportions and walks away from all charges.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Marcos is building his cabinet amoungst some push back from some radical environmentalists here.
    Cabinet choices seem to be logical and pragmatic here and nothing like we are used to in the West.
    For the most part the radical environmentalists can't get a bit of traction here. As an example when COVID-19 was destroying jobs here former President Duarte simply increased the amount of legal mining to keep the GDP up.
    The Duarte/Marcos Presidencies should be somewhat seem less in transition as they would appear to be aligned. Alligned to the point of Duarte's daughter being Marcos's VP.
    I hope these guys make it, I'm becoming a big fan of the Philippines.
    Very practical thinking going on here.

I have to admit, when reading about Marcos trying to become rice import independent and then having the Leftists come back with how bad a rice based diet is, I had to laugh. Rice is about 20% of what these folks eat, but it's a vital 20%. I'm not sure why when Marcos is on a mission to feed his Nation the left thinks rice can be replaced with sunshine, rainbows and unicorn farts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast