Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do suppressor covers damage suppressors?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Cant say 'mirage' ever has been an issue for me, but they (cans) may need an occasional 'tightening', that and the occasional spastic hand going places that are just too fu#*ing hot, I don't like blisters so yeah covers are good, they will keep you safe when stupid.
    On a semi auto, it would be more than a blister. More like instantaneous evaporation of flesh into thin air. With the cover on, you might be able to mitigate that to first or second degree burns. I mention that just to say if you need to tighten you still have to use an oven mitt. Two mags of triple taps will get mine hot enough to burn the wood on my loading bench (like actually burn a chunk out of it), and I don't even shoot very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Do suppressor covers damage suppressors?

No.

The damaging heat happens during firing, not during cooling. Being held at a moderate temperature for a nominally longer duration won't do anything to a decent suppressor.
    I blow up cans in about 2 minutes, without a cover when doing destructive tests. Putting a cover on them for that would no nothing other than burn the cover off.
    I could be misunderstanding the question, but I assume what he meant is whether the cover will hold in the heat, causing the silencer to get hotter than it otherwise would have, making the baffles erode faster. Especially with titanium, I could see that being a real concern. Destructive meltdown style testing is going to kill it regardless, but during a more normal session where you're just doing some drills and giving the can time to cool it could make a difference. Coincidentally, some of the more premium covers use materials like kevlar that have a higher tolerance for heat than titanium. Like you can get them into the above 500 Fahrenheit range where the lightweight cans don't like to go.
    Last edited by okie; 08-30-22 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Do suppressor covers damage suppressors?

I personally don’t use them. Depending on need, I might just toss a glove on my left hand to tighten them as needed. I could see them being useful in some instances… just not mine.

But that is just the direct thread setups. Blew thru 200 rounds with my Bushwhacker 46 today (I like to see if there are issues with heat, even though I’d never get those number of rounds with duty use), which is held on via A2 adapter. No issues. Had to look for the mirage, but with a red dot… it was a no issue.

Rather have done Taper mount, but the muzzle device traps the gas piston from being removed. A2… can actually service the gun.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345