Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Uvalde video released - UPDATE - Arrendondo terminated

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    My problem with the death penalty is our government isn’t sufficiently evolved to be trusted with such power over its citizens.
    Agreed. "On paper" I don't have an issue with it per se, but as humans are involved, the fact that a surprisingly high % are innocent, the fact it's not given equally, often convicted on surprisingly poor evidence, they sit there for decades costing crazy $, often die of old age, etc, etc, = I don't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Are you saying in the case of wrongful convictions?
    Among a long list of fails...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Are you saying in the case of wrongful convictions?
    Wrongful convictions is a umbrella term that encompasses a laundry list of problems and failures that pollutes the criminal justice system.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Wrongful convictions is a umbrella term that encompasses a laundry list of problems and failures that pollutes the criminal justice system.
    That's where I am at on it.

Also, don't forget members of the ruling class that effectively go unscathed when they commit crimes.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    That's where I am at on it.

Also, don't forget members of the ruling class that effectively go unscathed when they commit crimes.
    That doesn't really play into opposing the death penalty though.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The death penalty is not meant to be a deterrent or at least it shouldn't be considered to be one. It's called Capital Punishment, not Capital Deterrence or Rehabilitation. Properly applied in cases of absolute guilt beyond all reasonable doubt... I'm 100% in favor of it without exception. Actually, I believe there are crimes and levels of recidivism that should be eligible for the death penalty that currently aren't.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    The Atlanta cop, Garrett Rolf, who shot Rawshard Brooks in the Wendy’s parking lot, that set off waves of “peaceful protests” was not only charged with shooting Brooks but also charged because one of his rounds struck an occupied vehicle…not even another person, just a vehicle. So, yes, there are DAs that will gleefully charge a PO…warranted or not. Hell, a former DA where I was an officer 20+ years ago stated that police officers are people that wanted to be lawyers, but weren’t smart enough, and that his favorite thing is prosecuting officers.
    Rolf/Brooks may depend on when taser shot #2 was fired and charged is a long way from convicted. While I have seen crap from prosecutors(such as going after a cop for shooting a driver about to run over them) the norm seems to be blowing off an incident or charges that will obviously not hold up in court.

Someone on this forum(not you) got very pissed at me for pointing out during the Chauvin/Floyd case that Chauvin couldn't really claim it was a corrupt legal system without torpedoing any sympathy for his new found situation. To claim corruption at that point could not go without bringing up his previous 19 years dragging people in to thar very same system.

Curious how this latest(maybe?) one will turn out.

https://www.insider.com/denver-polic...hooting-2022-7

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That doesn't really play into opposing the death penalty though.
    Which part?

Opposing it due to the corruption of our legal system or that a significant part of our society is free to commit crimes at will with no punishment on their horizon?

While ruining some part of a person's life with a bogus term in prison is bad enough, there is nothing to remotely ameliorate death. There also doesn't seem to be any concerted effort to punish members of the system for wrongful convictions.

If the latter, that just gets on to the "not given equally" position Will Brink mentioned. I do think a large part of our crime problems are due to what is effectively a ruling class(top to bottom, elected, appointed, or pulling strings in the background) not being held accountable for their wrong doing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    There also doesn't seem to be any concerted effort to punish members of the system for wrongful convictions.
    The taxpayers are properly fleeced all the time for the sins of their keepers, but yes the main actors are well protected by absurd levels of immunity.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Y'all are starting to sound like the 'Vibe!

We don't trust the .gov to deliver the mail, but we entrust it with our lives via authorizing the death penalty.

Lawyers say that one of the buffers here is that judges don't decide life vs. death; only a Jury can do that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    One crazy punk held off almost 400 police. Imagine what what a team of terrorists (like in Nairobi Dusit D2) could do.
    But the military would then get involved and bring down the hammer...there is only so much LE can do

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast