Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Tactical in .308

Feedback Score

Remington 700 Tactical in .308

D7EF3901-0FE7-4931-B2C6-67F56A3ABA1C.jpeg

I snagged a rifle from a buddy. I have some questions, as I’m not quite as familiar with this gun and caliber than I might be with an AR platform..

.308 Win Remington 700 Tactical. It has the BDL style metal baseplate (I think).

I have no desire to spend $500-1000 on a new chassis. I don’t mind the rubberized stock. However, I’d like to have a detachable magazine. I’ve looked around at various offerings, and have found them going from $40-400. So quality varies greatly, I’m guessing. Recommendations appreciated.

I also see options of Short vs Long Action when looking at accessories. I don’t know what mine would be considered? My guess would be short action, but I don’t really know. I didnt get a manual, and I don’t see much out there on my specific model.

Anything else I need to know?
    Last edited by Trihonda; 07-12-22 at 21:32. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Are you going to do it yourself, or have a smith do it? If smith, ask him what he does well. Otherwise, go to Bugholes / Southern Precision and look at options. many other places as well.

The gun is a good gun but yes the stock not the greatest, so just be cognizant of the pressure you put on the gun when loading the bipod.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You have a short action. Possibly a great shooter. I'd definitely upgrade the stock. I had the gumby stock, and it just isn't a very serious use stock. I'd shoot the gun with some good ammo and decide if you want to go crazy from there.

Here's a very old pic of mine back before the Stock, Trigger, Barrel thread, and Good glass. The bolt still has finish on it.

Last edited by markm; 07-12-22 at 22:02.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    PTG makes a nice detachable bottom metal piece for the short-action 700 and they're right in the middle of your price range.

The issue with the factory stock is that it's not very stiff so if pressure on the stock causes it too touch your barrel it can throw your shot.

Feedback Score
    Upgrade stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I hear ya on spending $$$, sometimes its hard to get it all together. My recommendation is this, plus it kills two items with one swipe ! You will have a great stock/chassis and your bottom metal problem will be solved. Just buy a couple AIC mags and your good to go ! Worth a look I feel, I have one and love it ! And maybe under the $400 bucks, depending on tax & shipping !
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like others have said, you really need to upgrade that stock. If you dont want to spend a bunch of money the KRG Bravo, Magpul, or the new Oryx Field Stock are all great options that also add the AICS magazine capability. Bell and Carlson also make an affordable stock for that rifle.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Heatseeker chassis is sub 400 dollars I believe and accepts aics mag pattern

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You have a short action. Possibly a great shooter. I'd definitely upgrade the stock. I had the gumby stock, and it just isn't a very serious use stock. I'd shoot the gun with some good ammo and decide if you want to go crazy from there.

Here's a very old pic of mine back before the Stock, Trigger, Barrel thread, and Good glass. The bolt still has finish on it.

Rocking the Super Sniper scope to boot. So awesome. I was killing it with a Bushnell Fixed 10X at the time. Both scopes were under $200, and we made it work. Hell Hathcock would have given his nut sack to run one of those and grasp what he did. I ramble.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-19-22 at 19:32.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I hear ya on spending $$$, sometimes its hard to get it all together. My recommendation is this, plus it kills two items with one swipe ! You will have a great stock/chassis and your bottom metal problem will be solved. Just buy a couple AIC mags and your good to go ! Worth a look I feel, I have one and love it ! And maybe under the $400 bucks, depending on tax & shipping !
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/
    Yup, thanks for the suggestion. I went with the KRG after some research, reviews, etc. also snagged a magpull bipod, which will suffice for my needs. I scooped up some magpul 5 and 10 rd mags, and I think this project is good for now. I went with the FDE chassis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast