Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: What ammo for in MP5-type guns? JHP's?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,547
    Feedback Score
    0

    What ammo for in MP5-type guns? JHP's?

    Many new MKE AP5 / AP5P owners right now, including me.

    My AP5 has ran fine with 124 gr Fiocchi fmj. After about a few mags of that I tried WW 115 gr, Geco 124 gr, and just a few rounds of Tula 115 gr. No problems.

    For defensive ammo I fired about 10 rds each of Hornady 124 gr +p xtp and Rem Golden Sabre 124 gr +P. No problems.

    I've also ran 50 rds of Fiocchi 147 gr JHP (Not xtp) and that ran fine.

    Underwood Lehigh 68 gr +p was a no-go. Out of 5 rounds had two stoppages. One was ruined with the bullet shoved into the case.

    I have some Freedom munitions 147 gr fmj with brass and steel cases but haven't tried them yet.

    Would anyone else like offer experiences with ammo for MP5-style guns? Especially defensive ammo?

    How about lead / coated reloads? LHP?

    I'm trying to stock up on 147 gr ammo because I'm thinking suppressors this fall. (No unjacketed through suppressors, I know)

    Oh, does the AP5P ("K") fire 147 gr ammo okay with the factory bolt lock piece?
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-12-22 at 23:16.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    31,520
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have both factory MP5s and older MKE imports and both seem to run pretty much everything 100%.

    For defensive ammo I've run Golden Sabers for decades but stopped years ago and switched to Hornady. I have shot Hydra Shocks and Ranger over the years with zero problems, but Hornady (whatever the LE stuff is) seems the most consistent for JHP ammo. Every model including the K will fire 147 grain just fine. The lone exception is SD models with ported barrels and integral suppressors.

    For range ammo WWB used to be the cheapest "decent" ammo. Speer lawman is pretty good, especially if you need 147 gr ammo for suppressor but still affordable range ammo. Geco 124 is my absolute favorite range ammo when it's available at a good price. Remington, especially UMC is notorious for being underpowered, haven't had it fail in a MP5 (factory or contract) but I've seen it hang in other guns.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have an older Zenith import in each size. No issues with any 147 or 158 grain that I have tried, including very anemic Freedom Munitions stuff.

    Probably anything relatively "mainstream" from bulk pack 115 to 124 NATO to 147/158/165 subs should be fine. The bigger question is what you want to do with it. If it's a toy, buy and shoot the cheapest stuff you can find. If it's for home/self defense, I'd question whether an MP5 clone is really the best tool for the job, but if it is for you, a decent hollow point round of "mainstream" weight is probably the pick.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    31,520
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    I have an older Zenith import in each size. No issues with any 147 or 158 grain that I have tried, including very anemic Freedom Munitions stuff.

    Probably anything relatively "mainstream" from bulk pack 115 to 124 NATO to 147/158/165 subs should be fine. The bigger question is what you want to do with it. If it's a toy, buy and shoot the cheapest stuff you can find. If it's for home/self defense, I'd question whether an MP5 clone is really the best tool for the job, but if it is for you, a decent hollow point round of "mainstream" weight is probably the pick.
    Assuming no QC problems, MKE is technically a HK contract firearm and would be perfectly acceptable in a HD role.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,547
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Assuming no QC problems, MKE is technically a HK contract firearm and would be perfectly acceptable in a HD role.
    Yea.

    I recently got another Beretta CX4 and use it for that purpose.

    How do they compare?

    Both are very reliable but the CX4 eats Lehigh 68 gr +p bullets and throws them to 2100 fps.

    Mag changes are faster with the CX4 but that's not much of a concern.

    The CX4 has a passive firing pin safety just like a modern pistol. The MP5 - type weapons do not. Drop safe??
    Backup irons are easier with the MP5, as is adding a can if I decide too.

    While the CX4 is short, the AP5 and AP5K especially are much easier to move around the house with should clearing be necessary. I certainly prefer the grip and safety selector of the AP5's. Can have folding stocks or braces on MP5 types.

    I'd use 147 gr JHP's if I used the AP5 for HD. Perhaps I should load up 147 gr XTP's to try out?

    Anyone fire 147 gr XTP's from an MP5 - type gun?
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-13-22 at 18:14.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    31,520
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yea.

    I recently got another Beretta CX4 and use it for that purpose.

    How do they compare?

    Both are very reliable but the CX4 eats Lehigh 68 gr +p bullets and throws them to 2100 fps.

    Mag changes are faster with the CX4 but that's not much of a concern.

    The CX4 has a passive firing pin safety just like a modern pistol. The MP5 - type weapons do not. Drop safe??
    Backup irons are easier with the MP5, as is adding a can if I decide too.

    While the CX4 is short, the AP5 and AP5K especially are much easier to move around the house with should clearing be necessary. I certainly prefer the grip and safety selector of the AP5's. Can have folding stocks or braces on MP5 types.

    I'd use 147 gr JHP's if I used the AP5 for HD. Perhaps I should load up 147 gr XTP's to try out?

    Anyone fire 147 gr XTP's from an MP5 - type gun?
    Assuming they didn't monkey around with the specs, any HK contract should be 100% drop safe. That is why that trigger is a little heavy.

    I haven't shot Hornady's XTP round yet, but looks like it should be fine. Pretty much every major manufacturer offers a 147 gr JHP round these days.

    I'd be careful with any +P rounds out of that Storm, might hammer the crap out of it. Uzi's eat +P just fine, but that Storm has a much lighter bolt / recoil spring setup. I don't even shoot +P out of my MP5, I'd rather shoot a heaver round like 147 gr and not put the wear and tear on it.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,547
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Assuming they didn't monkey around with the specs, any HK contract should be 100% drop safe. That is why that trigger is a little heavy.

    I haven't shot Hornady's XTP round yet, but looks like it should be fine. Pretty much every major manufacturer offers a 147 gr JHP round these days.

    I'd be careful with any +P rounds out of that Storm, might hammer the crap out of it. Uzi's eat +P just fine, but that Storm has a much lighter bolt / recoil spring setup. I don't even shoot +P out of my MP5, I'd rather shoot a heaver round like 147 gr and not put the wear and tear on it.
    Thanks for the advice.

    IIRC the Manual for the Beretta says +p and +P+ may be used but will accelerate wear on parts or similar.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    7,864
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have ran every trash ammo and good HD ammo. A lot of Speer and Federal, no problems with any ammo of any type.

    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    1,948
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I shot duty MP-5s and SDs for a number of years running 115-grain Ball (Winchester White Box and Blazer), M882 GI, Federal Hydra-Shocks, Winchester Special Munition (WSM 147s), and all kinds of other Euro and Asian military and commercial cats and dogs ball (including corrosive-primed).

    MP-5s operated even with green-corroded GI Ball that choked Browning Mark IIIs and SIG 226s -- the fluted chamber thing works.

    As far as I know they were factory-roller bolts without hot-rod monkeying with different rollers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bora Bora
    Posts
    5,175
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    I haven't shot Hornady's XTP round yet, but looks like it should be fine. Pretty much every major manufacturer offers a 147 gr JHP round these days.
    XTPís sit on top of all my standard SD reloads. As you would expect, they shoot just fine in my MP5ís.

    I havenít found anything that chokes any of mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •