Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do some prefer a larger pistol optic window?

Feedback Score

Why do some prefer a larger pistol optic window?

Question in subject heading.

Presentation is stressed that it must be perfect every time if you want to see a dot over your target instantly.

Why then does it matter what size the window is?

I have two pistols with optics currently. A Holosun 507c & a Leopold Microdot. The Microdot is level with regular height irons, enclosed, and likely more durable because the glass is smaller. Mounts to the factory dovetail, too.

Why aren't we seeing more of this style? Why are larger windows being pushed instead?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Why then does it matter what size the window is?
    The RDS with that concave top that dips down into the glass is mental torture for me. But to your point... an RDS on a pistol is a Gargantuan object.

The holosuns work good for me, and the SRO is really nice, but the SRO does seem a little tall.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A little forgiveness goes a long way when moving and shooting, same reason to put the rear sight in front of the optic.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Larger windows are more forgiving to shooting positions that are not static standing, poor presentation due to any number of factors, moving and shooting, etc.

That said, I really like my P2, which has a small window, and I see no major difference yet between it and some of my larger optics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Larger windows are more forgiving to shooting positions that are not static standing, poor presentation due to any number of factors, moving and shooting, etc.

That said, I really like my P2, which has a small window, and I see no major difference yet between it and some of my larger optics.
    I think I've noticed the same between my larger & smaller optic. The difference in "forgiveness" is very little because even with my "larger" 507c I don't have to be "off" much at all to have to have no circle-dot over the target.

I not sure that little bit of "forgiveness" is worth having a large, tall optic that requires a plate or machining to install.

I hope to see more offerings like the MicroDot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I not sure that little bit of "forgiveness" is worth having a large, tall optic that requires a plate or machining to install.
    There are certain guns I pick up an just struggle to find the dot. It's really varying grip angles, and not so much the optic size. If I ever get my own RDS pistol, I would be extremely compelled to practice more.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There are certain guns I pick up an just struggle to find the dot. It's really varying grip angles, and not so much the optic size. If I ever get my own RDS pistol, I would be extremely compelled to practice more.
    I found this, too.

Going from one optic pistol to another is a mess. Takes several minutes of practice before even shooting or it would be incredibly slow.

Going from one pistol with irons to another with irons is easier. However I'm very familiar with them.

Perhaps practicing/training alot with ones different optic-mounted pistols can work the same way?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post

Thinking about this...perhaps this is part of the reason many (and me) aren't 100% pro-optic for every need.

Moving and shooting at the range and / or practicing draws from non-perfect stances they find isn't in view and collecting it is slow & frustrating.

But with irons it's easier to correct and get on / back on target when the same less than perfect presentation occurs. A grosser aim, but a faster one.

Unless there is a procedure for "what to do when circumstances result in a bad draw / presentation with the optic equipped pistol?"

Perhaps a corse, flash sight picture with irons is faster and more accurate than a "got no dot and no time pull trigger anyway" solution?

Just thinking out loud here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have found this since recently getting a few handguns with RDOs (a few Leupold Delta Points, a VORTEX VIPER, a few SIG ROMEO1PROs, a SIG ROMEO2, and a HOLOSUN HS407C). It does take practice to have the weapon placed in proper alignment to be able to view the red dot, but it is not hard to do when you pay attention to what you are doing. I have practiced from the low ready position with some success. Doing this enough will certainly create muscle memory to where it becomes second nature.

I did look at a Leupold Microdot that was mounted on a Glock. Not something I really want on my pistols.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 12-30-22 at 14:35.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. If I'm forced to shoot a gun that has a Dot I struggle to find, I'll do a handful of draws until I build a short term muscle memory for that particular set up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast