Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange but true

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Strange but true

Two weeks ago at the gym I got this pain in my right shoulder running from the front right side of my neck along the collar bone to the top of the shoulder. It was worse if I pulled my shoulder down or lifted it up. I stopped my workout and went home. I think it might have been dips or bench press related.
    I took two weeks off and was taking ibuprofen but it wasn't getting any better, I was about ready to make an appointment with my orthopedic guy.
    Last night in bed I was lying on my left side with my wife behind me. She reached under my l right arm and put her hand on the front of my shoulder and gave a big tug to roll herself over. The pain was like a lighting bolt.
    This morning all the pain was gone. All I can say is I probably had dislocated something and she put it back in place. Went to the gym today and did my workout with no pain. She claims I owe her for orthopedic services.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Two weeks ago at the gym I got this pain in my right shoulder running from the front right side of my neck along the collar bone to the top of the shoulder. It was worse if I pulled my shoulder down or lifted it up. I stopped my workout and went home. I think it might have been dips or bench press related.
    I took two weeks off and was taking ibuprofen but it wasn't getting any better, I was about ready to make an appointment with my orthopedic guy.
    Last night in bed I was lying on my left side with my wife behind me. She reached under my l right arm and put her hand on the front of my shoulder and gave a big tug to roll herself over. The pain was like a lighting bolt.
    This morning all the pain was gone. All I can say is I probably had dislocated something and she put it back in place. Went to the gym today and did my workout with no pain. She claims I owe her for orthopedic services.
    And that's where good chiropractors come in, and can often prevent you from ever requiring orthopedic services. As orthopedics don't make such adjustments, you owe your wife for chiropractic services in truth.

Hopefully the "adjustment" lasts.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had that problem and an unlicensed osteopath at the golf course felt me over and told me my collar bone was out of alignment, probably from so much driving to work long distances. He yanked it and immediate relief. I told him next time it happened I'd just throw hot loads in my shotgun and fire it a few times.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
    I had that problem and an unlicensed osteopath at the golf course felt me over and told me my collar bone was out of alignment, probably from so much driving to work long distances. He yanked it and immediate relief. I told him next time it happened I'd just throw hot loads in my shotgun and fire it a few times.
    And that's a problem? Did he lose his license or something?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And that's a problem? Did he lose his license or something?
    Not a problem at all with me. The chiropractor we also played golf with really hated him though and would always whisper "practicing medicine without a license"

Osteopath was a retired college professor and he went and bought some chiropractor tools, he'd adjust us after golf for free. Mainly with this thing that reminded me of a real large spring loaded center punch.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I went to a chiropractor once for sciatic leg pain, felt worst than before. Turned out to be spinal stenosis requiring a laminectomy to correct.

Feedback Score
    Chiropractic is not medicine, its not science, it is essentially a nice massage for the most part. Their term 'adjustment' is basically bullshit, a name they give to an imaginary treatment. "Well, it cured my lumbago" or "cured this and that" it would have improved anyway. Next time you get chest pain, an infection, GI bleed, fracture, go to a Chiropractor and see how that works out for you.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Chiropractic is not medicine, its not science, it is essentially a nice massage for the most part. Their term 'adjustment' is basically bullshit, a name they give to an imaginary treatment. "Well, it cured my lumbago" or "cured this and that" it would have improved anyway. Next time you get chest pain, an infection, GI bleed, fracture, go to a Chiropractor and see how that works out for you.
    That is nonsense, and published data exists, and it's very useful for many. You're out of your lane obviously. I can supply full papers if you have the sci/med background to read them.

“Given that most patients with acute or subacute low back pain improve over time regardless of treatment, clinicians and patients should select nonpharmacologic treatment with superficial heat (moderate-quality evidence), massage, acupuncture, or spinal manipulation (low-quality evidence). If pharmacologic treatment is desired, clinicians and patients should select nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or skeletal muscle relaxants (moderate-quality evidence).”

American College of Physicians (2017)

“For patients with chronic low back pain, clinicians and patients should initially select nonpharmacologic treatment with exercise, multidisciplinary rehabilitation, acupuncture, mindfulness-based stress reduction (moderate-quality evidence), tai chi, yoga, motor control exercise, progressive relaxation, electromyography biofeedback, low-level laser therapy, operant therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, or spinal manipulation (low-quality evidence).”

“Many treatments are available for low back pain. Often exercises and physical therapy can help. Some people benefit from chiropractic therapy or acupuncture.”

Goodman et al. (2013), Journal of the American Medical Association

“Chiropractic Manipulative Therapy in conjunction with standard medical care offers a significant advantage for decreasing pain and improving physical functioning when compared with only standard care, for men and women between 18 and 35 years of age with acute low back pain.”

Goertz et al. (2013), Spine
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went to a chiropractor once for sciatic leg pain, felt worst than before. Turned out to be spinal stenosis requiring a laminectomy to correct.
    I can't comment not knowing all the details. As with all treatments, applicable and of value, not for others, etc.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That is nonsense, and published data exists, and it's very useful for many. You're out of your lane obviously. I can supply full papers if you have the sci/med background to read them.

“Given that most patients with acute or subacute low back pain improve over time regardless of treatment, clinicians and patients should select nonpharmacologic treatment with superficial heat (moderate-quality evidence), massage, acupuncture, or spinal manipulation (low-quality evidence). If pharmacologic treatment is desired, clinicians and patients should select nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or skeletal muscle relaxants (moderate-quality evidence).”

“For patients with chronic low back pain, clinicians and patients should initially select nonpharmacologic treatment with exercise, multidisciplinary rehabilitation, acupuncture, mindfulness-based stress reduction (moderate-quality evidence), tai chi, yoga, motor control exercise, progressive relaxation, electromyography biofeedback, low-level laser therapy, operant therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, or spinal manipulation (low-quality evidence).”

“Many treatments are available for low back pain. Often exercises and physical therapy can help. Some people benefit from chiropractic therapy or acupuncture.”

Goodman et al. (2013), Journal of the American Medical Association

“Chiropractic Manipulative Therapy in conjunction with standard medical care offers a significant advantage for decreasing pain and improving physical functioning when compared with only standard care, for men and women between 18 and 35 years of age with acute low back pain.”

Goertz et al. (2013), Spine
    Not out of my league by any means, as a physician, feel free to private msg me your sources. Physical therapy, acupuncture, assorted non invasive non pharmacologic treatment modalities may be alternatives to more traditional approaches to specific disease entities/ physical impairments: but chiropractic is nothing more than a massage with perhaps the application of acupressure points. To each his own. I'm sure chiropractic works 30% of the time, like any placebo. PM me to discuss if you wish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast