Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackets with drop-liners: prone to overheating?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Jackets with drop-liners: prone to overheating?

Asking because I am considering purchasing an Arktis B310 waterproof smock, as we are getting very heavy rain, here, for weeks now.

Only concern I have is that a number of US sources reviewing these (and there aren’t many,) indicate that with any kind of activity, a jacket with a drop-liner in it causes the wearer to get hot/overheat pretty quick with any amount of physical activity (walking, hiking, etc.). Users in UK, however, say they’re awesome.

I have an issue Gore-Tex by Tennier Industries which is light and works well, but it doesn’t have any pockets and it’s shorter than I would like.

Anyone have any field experience with jackets or smocks made with drop-liners inside? Love it? Hate it?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most US-made (Berry compliant) military Gore-Tex jackets and windbreakers are noisy.

I prefer an ultralight fly-fishing Gore-Tex jacket under a British Army multicam (MTP) smock if working in cold-wet. A Z-pel or other 3M waterproofing/repelling treated cotton smock is quiet and has mission-supporting pockets. If you have to move, take it off or zip down the pit zips. If you're traversing mountains (yamas) and hilly terrain the Gore-Tex comes off and gets stashed in the patrol pack or under the top ruck flap.

You absolutely SHOULD NOT traverse rough terrain with a ruck/combat load wearing Gore-Tex. You'll cook yourself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So noted for future reference - I appreciate and value the pro insights, Sir. Thank you very much for the excellent, very educational reply!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Experience comes from poor judgement.

"I'll not do THAT again."

British smocks can be modified so that Army and Air/Space Force NCOs don't lose their minds. You can wear a Level 6 or commercial Goretex underneath:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your photos call to mind the original thread you posted where you showed and described how you made the mods to that smock. I couldn’t recall which M4C member it was afterward, but you cleared that right up. I was impressed then and I still am - you’re a man of many talents!
    Last edited by Buncheong; 07-17-22 at 09:53.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Your photos call to mind the original thread you posted where you showed and described how you made the mods to that smock. I couldn’t recall which M4C member it was afterward, but you cleared that right up. I was impressed then and I still am - you’re a man of many talents!
    Would you happen to have a link to that thread?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thank you and for the information.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for that. I've been looking for a MultiCam field jacket or smock, and you've given me a few options to think about.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Any particular reason you're looking at a waterproof smock rather than more contemporary hardshells if rain protection is your primary concern? Many hardshells have ways to help promote airflow, whether it be through more breathable membranes or pit zips. I'm coming from this from a backcountry camping perspective, so it may not be quite as applicable if you're coming in strictly from a duty perspective.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast