Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackets with drop-liners: prone to overheating?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've worn North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Moonstone, early SF, and GI Gore-Tex jackets and parkas (both lined and un-lined).

Many are very stiff and noisy. Even with pit zips, rucking up and down mountains at or below freezing will make you sweat, then chill once you've stopped. That's a killer in below-freezing mountains, or in down-pours at near-freezing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I've worn North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Moonstone, early SF, and GI Gore-Tex jackets and parkas (both lined and un-lined).

Many are very stiff and noisy. Even with pit zips, rucking up and down mountains at or below freezing will make you sweat, then chill once you've stopped. That's a killer in below-freezing mountains, or in down-pours at near-freezing.
    Have you tried the level 5 soft shell stuff? The UCP and grey PCU pieces I own have some swish, but not the stuff and crunchy of most goretex.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Have you tried the level 5 soft shell stuff? The UCP and grey PCU pieces I own have some swish, but not the stuff and crunchy of most goretex.
    I have my issue Level 5 jacket and trousers. I wear them under a smock and Level 6, but as far as I know they're not waterproof.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have my issue Level 5 jacket and trousers. I wear them under a smock and Level 6, but as far as I know they're not waterproof.
    Water resistant for a fair amount of time/volume of rain.

If water isn't beading up on them get some DWR treatment from Nikwax, McNett, or others to restore it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Water resistant for a fair amount of time/volume of rain. If water isn't beading up on them get some DWR treatment from Nikwax, McNett, or others to restore it.
    Should be fairly robust DWR, but it may need a refresh. Also depends on who made it - some are better than others.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12