Thread: Jackets with drop-liners: prone to overheating?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Jackets with drop-liners: prone to overheating?

Asking because I am considering purchasing an Arktis B310 waterproof smock, as we are getting very heavy rain, here, for weeks now.

Only concern I have is that a number of US sources reviewing these (and there aren’t many,) indicate that with any kind of activity, a jacket with a drop-liner in it causes the wearer to get hot/overheat pretty quick with any amount of physical activity (walking, hiking, etc.). Users in UK, however, say they’re awesome.

I have an issue Gore-Tex by Tennier Industries which is light and works well, but it doesn’t have any pockets and it’s shorter than I would like.

Anyone have any field experience with jackets or smocks made with drop-liners inside? Love it? Hate it?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most US-made (Berry compliant) military Gore-Tex jackets and windbreakers are noisy.

I prefer an ultralight fly-fishing Gore-Tex jacket under a British Army multicam (MTP) smock if working in cold-wet. A Z-pel or other 3M waterproofing/repelling treated cotton smock is quiet and has mission-supporting pockets. If you have to move, take it off or zip down the pit zips. If you're traversing mountains (yamas) and hilly terrain the Gore-Tex comes off and gets stashed in the patrol pack or under the top ruck flap.

You absolutely SHOULD NOT traverse rough terrain with a ruck/combat load wearing Gore-Tex. You'll cook yourself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So noted for future reference - I appreciate and value the pro insights, Sir. Thank you very much for the excellent, very educational reply!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Experience comes from poor judgement.

"I'll not do THAT again."

British smocks can be modified so that Army and Air/Space Force NCOs don't lose their minds. You can wear a Level 6 or commercial Goretex underneath:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your photos call to mind the original thread you posted where you showed and described how you made the mods to that smock. I couldn’t recall which M4C member it was afterward, but you cleared that right up. I was impressed then and I still am - you’re a man of many talents!
    Last edited by Buncheong; 07-17-22 at 09:53.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Your photos call to mind the original thread you posted where you showed and described how you made the mods to that smock. I couldn’t recall which M4C member it was afterward, but you cleared that right up. I was impressed then and I still am - you’re a man of many talents!
    Would you happen to have a link to that thread?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!