Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alamo Precision build

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Alamo Precision build

Just received my build yesterday. I bought a Defiance Ruckus XM action in 6.5 PRC and pre-fit Proof Sendoro barrel from Altus Shooting back in December. I added a Trigger Tech Special Trigger and a APA Little Bastard Brake to it. Then I sent the rifle off to Alamo Precision to put it all together and bed the rifle in an AG Composites Alpine hunter stock. After almost 7 months it came in yesterday. I pulled a NF NX8 4-32x50 scope off of another rifle and installed it on this rifle. The bipod is an Atlas bipod which is just a bit too tall. Will have to get a shorter one. Now its time to head to the range this weekend and start breaking in the barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 07-14-22 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is sexy
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks. Going to the range this weekend. I'm glad I've been able to put away some ammo for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is the camo pattern on the stock?
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's called Midnight Forest. If you go to AG Composites site its there. However, the picture on their website is different than in reality. Their site shows the pattern as being a bit more vibrant. In real life its definitely a lot more muted. I like it though. the stock also has a lot of texture to it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Spent about 3 hours at the range yesterday breaking in the barrel and sighting in my scope. I was shooting 143gr ELDX and 147gr ELDM. I shot a 75 rounds total. I'm not sure about the value of breaking in a barrel and from what little I've seen there are about a million different ways to break one in and then of course there are others that just say shoot it and don't worry about breaking in a barrel. Proof says to shoot 3 rounds and clean and do this 3 times then the same after shooting 3 sets of 5 round strings. One thing I definitely noticed was that after the 1st 5 rd string I stopped seeing a good bit of copper on my patches. Cleaning was very easy. I was able to keep 3 rounds groups between .5" and .3" for both types of ammo. 5 round groups averaged 1/2" to 3/4". Part of that was probably due to the barrel heating up. I didn't wait too long in between shots. After the 1st 45 rounds I was shooting for groups but wanted to see if my groups opened up as the barrel heated up. I've read that Proof Barrels POI starts climbing as the barrel heats up. Proof states that the POI doesn't change. I've read accounts of both ways. In my case I didn't see POI change and groups didn't open up.

One thing I was really interested to see if it happened was if the 147gr ELDM's blew up. There are fairly frequent accounts of the 147 ELDM's blowing up in mid flight from being spun to quickly. My barrel has a 1/7.5 twist. Most common is 1/8. So far I didn't see that happen. This weekend I'm going to be shooting some 156gr Berger EOL's to see how they perform. I got the 1/7.5 twist barrel mainly for the 156's. They are going to be my main hunting round. I have some 127gr LRX loads and will shoot them also just to see how they handle the faster twist. The range I go to goes out to 600 yards so I'll get the chance to shoot it at a bit of distance also. So this Saturday is going to be interesting. Overall I really like this rifle!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Great looking rig. Look forward to following report.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Saturday I spent a couple of hours at the range. Main goal was to re-zero with some Berger 156gr EOL ammunition. I bought this ammo from Unknown Munitions. They advertise it with a velocity of 3050 fps. Surprisingly the POI for the 156 EO: ammo was the same as both the 143 and 147 ELD. I'm assuming the reason for that is the 156EOL is about 100 fps faster than the 2 Hornady loads. I also had some 127gr LRX and 142gr Accubond Long Range from Unknow Munitions. My rifle didn't like either of them. POI was different for both of them and the groups opened up to at least 1 1/2 - 2 inches. I only shot 40 rounds Saturday. However, my brother was with me and he had a brand new Springfield Armory Waypoint in .308 with him. He was sighting in his rifle and working on barrel break in. I had given him some 150 gr and 165gr Accubond to see how his rifle performed with them. He also had some Federal Terminal Ascent 175gr ammo. He did the sight in with some basic surplus ammo and then refined it with the 165gr AB. After that he was shooting groups. Both the 150 and 165gr AB came in at Springfields .75" guaranty. Last was the 175gr Terminal Ascent. While he's shooting I'm watching his target through my scope. 1st round dead center bullseye. I'm thinking cool he doesn't have to worry about changing anything with his scope. 2nd shot same hole as the first! 3rd shot ended up just bordering the 1st 2 shots! I told my brother he just found his Elk ammo. He and I and myself are going elk hunting in 2024. His group measured in at .19! He was loading up his magazine to shoot some more and the RSO called the range cold. I looked at my brother and said there's your sign. Time to pack up and head home because there was no way he'd do any better than that. The Waypoints are very nice rifles and his definitely likes the Terminal Ascent ammo. It shoots the AB stuff also but nowhere near as accurate as the Terminal Ascent. Considering this is all factory ammo I don't see how you can do much better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking rig, seems to shoot very well to boot. Congrats

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is your brother's Waypoint the carbon barrel or steel?
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast