Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AERO .308 Short Stroke Specifics & Symptoms:

Feedback Score
    Good info dpete. I didn’t think to check the port size when I had it apart. Gonna be hot enough all week I might as well check that out while I’m waiting for it to drop below 100 degrees here. I’ll have a read of the links.

Feedback Score
    Follow-up…
    After reading links provided here I checked port size. Instead of .096 I found .077 (drill bit) was the largest that would fit - and it was snug. Gas block port is north of .130 so that .025 spacing from the shoulder would not have mattered.

Thanks for the heads up!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The hole in the gas block should be .125 or a tad bigger. The inside of the gas tube is .125 so anything over that is extra large and not necessary as long as you get the block as centered over the gas port hole as possible. Drilling the gas port hole is easy. Numbered drill bits from any hardware store are all that is needed. A hand drill works, a drill press works better. Support the barrel and run either one slow, oil the bit and the hole, and use light pressure on the drill. You want the drill bit to eat slowly. If you are concerned about punching through too fast you can put a wooden dowel into the barrel.

Feedback Score
    dpete, Hadn’t thought about the dowel. Confess the thought of drilling it myself makes me feel like an instant girlie-man. Michael at Criterion encouraged me to send it to him but what a hassle and then there is the risk in shipping. I’d think the bore axis being perpendicular would be critical - if I could stabilize it firmly on a small drill press maybe that would be smart. I don’t have a good feel for how well a bit would follow the original hole but if it would do a good job there perhaps I’d be safer than I think. Was a decent trim carpenter and welder in past life but a machinist would run me out of his shop.

Just a question. Would you still change out the Superlative gas block now that the problem looks to be the port size? And would you make the port .0960? Seemed like places call for a minimum and max, and some called .0960 the max. I was thinking if it was the max and I did drill it at that size than an adjustable gas block my be smart to keep.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer the idea of not having to use an adjustable gas block if not necessary. So I would drill the port to the correct size and go from there.

As to drilling the gas block, I would use the 0.077 drill bit to align the port to the press, as we know that fits snugly. Then change out the bit to the correct one(pick one size smaller than the minimum recommended port size and go up as necessary).
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Thnx George.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When drilling the gas port you cannot get it wrong! The hole that is already there is the perfect guide hole and the turning bit will naturally want to follow it down. Just take it slow and all will be well. While you are working on the gas system and have the rifle in pieces, take the entire BCG out and soak it for about a week in Mobile 1. When you are ready to shoot, pull it out of the oil, let it drip off then clean off the bolt face. Slap it back in the rifle and go shoot. Bring extra oil along with you and use it. During break in with these large frames you want oil oozing out of every orifice while shooting to make sure all the metal on metal surfaces mate together smoothly. These big girls need a lot more lube to get going properly, compared to their little cousins.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I prefer the idea of not having to use an adjustable gas block if not necessary. So I would drill the port to the correct size and go from there.

As to drilling the gas block, I would use the 0.077 drill bit to align the port to the press, as we know that fits snugly. Then change out the bit to the correct one(pick one size smaller than the minimum recommended port size and go up as necessary).
    Just to be clear, he isn't drilling the gas block, he is drilling the gas port....big difference.

@SgtDog You already have the adjustable gas block. You might as well drill once at .0960 and be done with it, get the rifle functioning with a decent round count through it, then you can start fine tuning the gas with the block if you have to. You can dial down the gas with the block, but you can't dial it up if you drill an in between hole size first and the rifle doesn't function properly. You'll end up pulling it all off again and redrilling to the proper .0960".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpete View Post
    Just to be clear, he isn't drilling the gas block, he is drilling the gas port....big difference.

@SgtDog You already have the adjustable gas block. You might as well drill once at .0960 and be done with it, get the rifle functioning with a decent round count through it, then you can start fine tuning the gas with the block if you have to. You can dial down the gas with the block, but you can't dial it up if you drill an in between hole size first and the rifle doesn't function properly. You'll end up pulling it all off again and redrilling to the proper .0960".
    Oops, yes. Meant gas port.

Adding the complexity of an adjustable gas block to a system seems suboptimal compared to a properly sized gas port. Not sure why anyone would want to oversize a gas port just so they'd then have to choke it down with a failure prone device.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are correct. You don't want to oversize it. .0960" is the proper size determined by folks with years of experience troubleshooting large frame ARs that people have purchased from manufacturers that think they know better than the creator of the design.
    The OP read the links, he has the info to get his rifle running, all he needs to do now is put that knowledge into practice.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast