Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AERO .308 Short Stroke Specifics & Symptoms:

Feedback Score
    Function problem resolved! Thanks for the help!!

The bolt locks back on empty. Bolt stripped cartridges from magazine just fine, at least while cycling under fire. I didn’t spend a lot of rounds since all I have is expensive Federal Gold Dot, but shot 10 rounds with none of the previous issues.

I appear a little over-gassed judging from brass angle (2 o’clock), at least running with the Superlative wide open and 168gr ammo. I tuned the Superlative down a couple clicks at a time after each shot till I was throwing at 3 o’clock. Took six shots. Then I shot a four shot group. I don’t know how this setting would disperse brass from say 150gr - guess I’ll find out after I buy and load some.

I did have one issue I don’t fully understand. If I release the bolt with the bolt release the round hangs. If I pull the charging handle back the full distance and release the round feeds fine. Its like that extra run at the bolt from the added spring tension is needed. And like I said above the bolt strips and chambers just fine after each shot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post

The bolt locks back on empty. Bolt stripped cartridges from magazine just fine, at least while cycling under fire. I didn’t spend a lot of rounds since all I have is expensive Federal Gold Dot, but shot 10 rounds with none of the previous issues.

I appear a little over-gassed judging from brass angle (2 o’clock), at least running with the Superlative wide open and 168gr ammo. I tuned the Superlative down a couple clicks at a time after each shot till I was throwing at 3 o’clock. Took six shots. Then I shot a four shot group. I don’t know how this setting would disperse brass from say 150gr - guess I’ll find out after I buy and load some.

I did have one issue I don’t fully understand. If I release the bolt with the bolt release the round hangs. If I pull the charging handle back the full distance and release the round feeds fine. Its like that extra run at the bolt from the added spring tension is needed. And like I said above the bolt strips and chambers just fine after each shot.
    Nice! It's a great feeling when a problem is solved. As to your issue with the round hanging, are you sure that when the bolt is locked back that the bolt release is catching on a bolt lug and not the carrier face?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    George, Good catch. I just checked and think that might be exactly what I was doing. Thnx!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was your issue with the bolt happening with the gas block wide open or partially closed? If it was happening with it wide open it would be something to worry about. If it began happening after you partially closed the gas block to adjust the pattern, you may have created the issue. Being overgassed or undergassed causes 308 ARs to not function. If it was fully functioning with the bolt feeding rounds from any release point with the gas block wide open you have nothing to worry about. As long as bullets properly load and empty brass makes it out of the ejection port, it is a perfectly and fully functioning rifle. Ejection pattern is meaningless in a 308. Weaker loaded bullets will not eject to the same angle as hot loaded bullets.
    Last edited by dpete; 07-28-22 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311 View Post

you want to tune the gas block so that you get enough gas to consistently lock the bolt back when the mag runs dry, "last round bolt hold open". That's your prime tuning criteria.

bolt face behind the bolt catch, not the bolt carrier on the bolt catch, and not the bolt face on the mag follower. these last 2 are faulty situations resulting from insufficient gas.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 07-28-22 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As for ejection pattern. Read down into the comments specifically about ejection. Those guys know more about 308 ARs than anyone else, including most manufacturers.
    https://forum.308ar.com/topic/24277-update/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Double post
    Last edited by dpete; 07-29-22 at 10:22. Reason: Site double posted

Feedback Score
    Ok, the problem I identified was what George caught. In other words, operator-error with a ‘manual process’. That occurred because I was manually clearing and making the weapon safe while I adjusted the gas block between each shot. All that was on me. When cycling under fire everything operated as you’d want. My manual operation suffers - mostly from 45 yrs since handling the M-16.

I appreciate the link on ejection pattern with a .308. Was not aware the difference between the AR-15 and the .308. I’ll be sure to read all that. I need to head over to that site with some ammo questions anyway. Btw, on a related note, my M1A flings back hard enough to dent brass on the deflector. That might be some interesting research as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good to know you got it figured out and it wasn't a difficult catch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glad you got it figured out. Now go enjoy!
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast