Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't get away from the Aimpoint Pro (long post)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have the C3. I bought the PRO after getting the C3 thinking it was the same thing with a different name. It was not. The adjustments in brightness weren't what I was used to and it just seemed cheaper. I got rid of it. Had I not had the C3 first, I might not have dumped the PRO.

This is the reason I'm leery of the new Aimpoint Duty sight.
    I found a good deal on a c3 years ago and threw it on my acr, I like it. Also came with an fde rubber cover to match my rifle because as we all know, fashion is foremost.
    Have a t2 and an h2.
    Also bought 3-4 of the stainless sights that look just like the t2/h2when they were discontinued. Don't remember their designation. Got a wonderful deal on those. Painted them black.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have completely adopted the aimpoint product as well. I have 3. My astigmatism and the well known and documented parallax shift with the MRO has confirmed the leader of the red dot world is aimpoint. The Pro mount is terrible and deserving an upgrade.

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Thanks for all the replies and is good to hear there are other people out there that still like the PRO.

I know the mount leaves alot to be desired but I must say, I added a 1.73 riser from SKD to make it a lower 1/3 and reversed it so the knob it's on the ejection port side so it does not dig into my chest, applied some blue loctite to all the screws and I think is a very functional mount now that I have had no issues with.

I agree the ADM or LaRue or Scalarworks mounts would be a better choice but for now I'm gonna let it ride.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have two PROs. They are most definitely the best value for a red dot on the market. Or really just the best value for any optic period.

I've also had Comps and Micros. The only tangible difference between the PRO and their higher end stuff is the glass quality. The PRO has a slight bluish cloudiness, whereas the Comp and Micro series are crystal clear.

Where that makes the biggest difference is if you plan on using a magnifier. If you plan on using even a 3x magnifier, my two cents is it's worth it to step up to the Comp M4 at least, especially since you can get them used now relatively inexpensively.

I've been down the LPVO road, and my multi-year, multi-optic opinion of them is that all but the insanely expensive ones way underdeliver. To work the way they're intended you need a FFP reticle with a dot in the second. And even if you can bear the expense of one, they're still quite heavy and bulky, so you absolutely want to make sure the use case is justified, completely irrespective of cost. The only practical use cases for us civilian types I can think of are competition and people who live on big acreages.

ETA: Surprised to see such hatred for the PRO mount. It's an extremely high quality mount with great repeat zero. Might not be as sexy as some of the other stuff out there, but there's not much sense in buying a 350 dollar optic and then forking over another 200 for a mount just because it looks cool. It would be better to take that money and step up to the Comp or Micro.
    Last edited by okie; 08-05-22 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I've had several Pro's - all gave god service & as noted, are built like tanks. Before my stroke, weight was never a problem but as time went along & funds became available, I did go to 2moa T-1's over time. If your Pro's work well, & work for you, don't lose any sleep over it. I'm still doing O/T & P/T from my stroke - at least all YOUR parts are in good working order - a quality optic is the least of your troubles if You already have & are familiar with the Pro!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2 PROs and a CompM4s…

They are great red dots and won’t be getting rid of them. Bought the PROs new, and I believe I got the CompM4s off AR15.com slightly used (still looks new, mainly because I really haven’t shot that setup much). But they are larger and heavier. Larger… I actually prefer the bigger tube over micro red dots. Weight… with the knob mount, it weighs 12.7 ounces.

The PROs are both on 16” rifles; Spikes/AA piston and Colt 6920. The CompM4s is on a 16” Macon D/I .45 AR… but that will be shortened to 10” to 11” in the future and likely running my Bushwhacker 46 a decent amount of the time.

Shorter guns, like my 11.5” truck gun… I use micro red dots. Specifically, I use the SIG Romeo5. Just thinking about it, I have five of them on various firearms. They weigh 5.1 ounces. While I am not a fan of the smaller tube, making the gun lighter/more compact outweighs my preference for the larger FOV in some situations. If I’m using it on my truck gun, it is very likely going to be within 100 yards, so I really don’t mind it. Shot them on plenty of different firearms, to include a 10.5” AK. Feel confident with it.

I could have picked up an Aimpoint Micro… but as pointed out by the OP, they are on the costly side. For me, I rather buy two for two firearms, and then extra ammo to train on… over an Aimpoint Micro. Not a dig at them, being I’m sure they are great optics… but for some lowly Federal L/E that isn’t jumping out of planes or storming buildings at 0 Dark Thirty… the SIG is more than adequate if size becomes a bigger consideration.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR TACTICAL View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and is good to hear there are other people out there that still like the PRO.

I know the mount leaves alot to be desired but I must say, I added a 1.73 riser from SKD to make it a lower 1/3 and reversed it so the knob it's on the ejection port side so it does not dig into my chest, applied some blue loctite to all the screws and I think is a very functional mount now that I have had no issues with.

I agree the ADM or LaRue or Scalarworks mounts would be a better choice but for now I'm gonna let it ride.
    I hate the QRP knob mount so I buy the LRP. It's the same price it's just not as available at as many websites. DSG Arms is the last place I ordered one from.

The 1.73 riser is a great upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I hate the QRP knob mount so I buy the LRP. It's the same price it's just not as available at as many websites. DSG Arms is the last place I ordered one from.
    Streicher’s has the version with LRP mount as well.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have had a PRO for a long time now, not a huge fan of the mount and am spoiled by all the other RDS that use 2032 batteries. There are more modern sights but I honestly don't think there are better RDS for the money, especially when the LRP mount is available as a no (or low) cost option.

Andy

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I can't get away from the Aimpoint Pro (long post)

There’s probably not much love for ARMS here but this $69 mount and riser have worked good with my PRO.

http://armsmounts.com/shop/mounts/a-...tension-combo/

Here’s the basic replacement American Defense for $85 I’d go with if I didn’t need the offset.

https://www.admmfg.com/aimpoint-comp-m4-mount

Not sure where okie is getting new mounts cost $200 but he is known to exaggerate.
    Last edited by Waylander; 08-09-22 at 13:34.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast