Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Carry handle question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    The center of an oval . . . is the same as the center of a circle.
    But you get more light through the circle, and the light is more equidistantly distributed around the tip of the sight post. And my poor old eyes need all the light they can get.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfton View Post
    But you get more light through the circle, and the light is more equidistantly distributed around the tip of the sight post. And my poor old eyes need all the light they can get.
    My eyes too. But the can't is negligible. At least on my guns.

I really don't think that if I were on the gun and I reached up and turned the sight that I could tell the difference.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The app simply does not can't that much.
    Are you okay?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That's a standard A2 / A4 rear sight.

There were two ways to fix it for those with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, or National Match shooters.

1. Weld a small "Tit" on the right side of the housing and file it down to ensure the housing is exactly parallel with the handle's U-notch, or

2. Have a machinist drill straight down the observation hole in the top of the sight and insert a pin to ensure the sight has no left-right movement. This one is double-pinned:

These practices have pretty much "Gone away" now that National Match shooters use 4.5-power telescopes.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    That's a standard A2 / A4 rear sight.

There were two ways to fix it for those with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, or National Match shooters.

1. Weld a small "Tit" on the right side of the housing and file it down to ensure the housing is exactly parallel with the handle's U-notch, or

2. Have a machinist drill straight down the observation hole in the top of the sight and insert a pin to ensure the sight has no left-right movement. This one is double-pinned:

These practices have pretty much "Gone away" now that National Match shooters use 4.5-power telescopes.
    Why does that drum have a 0 on it

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why does that drum have a 0 on it
    Isn't the National match drum marked in number of clicks, starting at zero?

So my guess is it's a NM drum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    The center of an oval . . . is the same as the center of a circle.
    Since we're talking here about the line of sight passing through the center of the circle/oval, I'd like to ask a peripheral question about the line of sight in relation to a mil-spec carry handle: What exactly is the vertical distance between the center of the long-distance aperture and the bore axis at mechanical zero? I've come across "about 2.5 inches" and "about 2.6 inches." Shouldn't there be a little more precision here?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Isn't the National match drum marked in number of clicks, starting at zero?

So my guess is it's a NM drum
    Yes. Some sort of competition sight. You can tell by the app in the base... Now with that App, you might not want any sight base cant due to it's length.
    Last edited by markm; 07-23-22 at 08:06.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfton View Post
    Yes, I was talking about Compass Lake earlier.

All of my hooded rear sight bases from them have interchangeable apertures. You can fine tune exactly how much light you want coming through. And no, they don't have to be 'pinned' to be hooded like that and still work well.

With the exception of Sinister - You got lots of guys posting here that have no hands on experience with these. It is fairly obvious from the comments.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't know what CLE does these days but back in the early 2000s White Oak Armament was the place to go if you wanted rear sights pinned. I recall it being common knowledge back then that this was purely an OCD type thing. Many high master class shooters had uppers with and without pinned sights and they were definitely not considered a mandatory addition.

However if having such things perfect and square improves your outlook on your equipment and your performance and you have the scratch to spend doing it ....and youre sure the money wouldnt be better spent on ammunition/practice, then I'd get it done. They can definitely inspire confidence.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast