Thread: 9x19 Lehigh longer range performance?

Feedback Score

9x19 Lehigh longer range performance?

When I carry a 9x19 it's loaded with Underwood 68 gr +p.

I've chronographed it @1725 fps avg from my M92X Centurion and HK P30SK. It goes over 2k fps from my CX4 9mm 16.5 in carbine.

We seem to have enough tests in gelatin and live animals to know what it does under 25 yds.

But how will it do when the range is increased and velocity drops?

Reduced penetration down range is a good thing when it comes to over penetration and missed shots. But bad versus a BG using cover or is just far away.

Perhaps we need some tests to see how fast velocity drops and what these bullets do at these slower speeds.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-18-22 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    Based on test of the 380 loads of this same bullet, I think we have nothing to worry about. I feel very confident in this bullet at least as far as I would a hollowpoint round in 9mm or maybe even slightly longer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Based on test of the 380 loads of this same bullet, I think we have nothing to worry about. I feel very confident in this bullet at least as far as I would a hollowpoint round in 9mm or maybe even slightly longer.
    That makes sense. A Lehigh 68 gr 9mm at 1000 fps will behave like a 68 gr .380 bullet at 1000 fps. Because they are the same.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Assuming the calculator I used is correct, a 68 gr. .355 bullet (BC .087) launched at 2000 FPS would still be clocking 1266 FPS at 100 meters. I was suprised at that to be honest. For reference, a 124 gr. JHP drops from 1250 FPS to 1050 FPS in the same distance (approx.)

Calculator used: http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/calcs.asp

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-19-22 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Assuming the calculator I used is correct, a 68 gr. .355 bullet (BC .087) launched at 2000 FPS would still be clocking 1266 FPS at 100 meters. I was suprised at that to be honest. For reference, a 124 gr. JHP drops from 1250 FPS to 1050 FPS in the same distance (approx.)

Calculator used: http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/calcs.asp

Andy
    Thanks for the reminder ballistics calculators exist...I didn't even think to check.

Its informative.

With the 1725 fps from my pistols the 68 gr bullet has dropped to 1500 fps by 25 yds. The 2100 fps one gets from a rifle gets it out to 50 yds before dropping to this.

With a pistol by 100 yds energy has dropped to under 200 ft lbs.

The wind really blows these around. From a pistol a 10 mph crosswind pushes the bullet over 8 inches. 6 inches from the rifle. (Vs 4 inches for a 147 gr jhp that started at 1050 fps)

As expected though, down range bullets that missed their target will be less dangerous than common weights.

IMO this 68 gr ammo is great under about 30 yds from a pistol and 55 yds from a rifle. Beyond that I'd rather have a 147 gr jhp.

Nice thing about slow bullets (9mm 147, .40 180, .45 200/230, .38 158 850, etc) is that bullets that miss drop quickly. By 175 yds the bullets I listed will have fallen below people's knees. (Unless fired at a more upward angle of course) But a 5.56 bullet from a SBR will have dropped nothing.

I think this is another factor when people consider the danger of missed shots rifle vs pistol or PPC. By 175-200 yds the pistol bullets will be below the knee with under 200 ft lbs behind them. A 5.56 bullet will be chest-high with three times the energy.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-19-22 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    When I carry a 9x19 it's loaded with Underwood 68 gr +p.

I've chronographed it @1725 fps avg from my M92X Centurion and HK P30SK. It goes over 2k fps from my CX4 9mm 16.5 in carbine.

We seem to have enough tests in gelatin and live animals to know what it does under 25 yds.

But how will it do when the range is increased and velocity drops?

Reduced penetration down range is a good thing when it comes to over penetration and missed shots. But bad versus a BG using cover or is just far away.

Perhaps we need some tests to see how fast velocity drops and what these bullets do at these slower speeds.
    I'm no expert on this one, but I'd think the Ballistic coefficient of that bullet would have it drop off faster than many. Personally, I'm most interested in how that bullet performs at those SD/HD distances of 25Y and under. I have been interested in those Lehigh rnds for a while now. Tried to order some when I became awares of them a few years back and they were out of stock and I didn't follow up on it after that.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”