Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polish new nitrided barrel's chamber?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Thanks old-timer! Good to hear from you. I ordered one with the 800 grit.
    You realize that will strip the nitride layer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What problems are being experienced to initiate the desire to polish the chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Yes, for whatever reason the chambers get sticky after the first warm up, like the stuff comes out of the pores or something. Most of the time it may cause short stroking for 5 shots then it will be fine, only once in a while when someone shoots hot reloads combined with a new chamber will they stick.
    According to constructor, a Nitrided chamber might become sticky and cause short stroking for a few shots, then the problem goes away, never to return. It seems much more logical to put 50-100 rounds through the barrel during the initial range session, clear whatever malfunctions occur, then go on with life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I thought nitride was harder than woodpecker lips? i.e. a little judicious polishing would hardly remove anything. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption.....that's why I stated this thread, as a question.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    According to constructor, a Nitrided chamber might become sticky and cause short stroking for a few shots, then the problem goes away, never to return. It seems much more logical to put 50-100 rounds through the barrel during the initial range session, clear whatever malfunctions occur, then go on with life.
    Actually he said it can/will occur after some rounds go downrange but it didn't just "go away"......it had to be polished.

The cheapness of the barrel got the better of me I guess. It appears to be a decent barrel (got it yesterday). If you notice in the OP I mentioned that my only other nitrided barrel had some major issues during a carbine class, the bane of the early M16: a stuck spent cartridge. Beat-it-out-with-a-cleaning-rod type of failure. I seek to avoid a repeat of that, that's all. If I can do something prophylactic (but not ignorant like over-polishing it) then why not?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Constructor did say it may need to be polished after firing some rounds, but he mentioned Iosso, JB and Flitz. All those are much less abrasive and provide a smoother surface than the Flexhone.
    But its your inexpensive barrel. Hope it works out and not wears out!

Mark

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Constructor did say it may need to be polished after firing some rounds, but he mentioned Iosso, JB and Flitz. All those are much less abrasive and provide a smoother surface than the Flexhone.
    But its your inexpensive barrel. Hope it works out and not wears out!

Mark
    Even the 800 grit one?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Even the 800 grit one?
    800 grit will not hurt the chamber unless you run it for 2-3 minutes at high speed. Nitride/Melonite treated chambers are hard enough you can't recut them with a carbide reamer, I can cut chrome out in a second.

The difference is you know you are just trying to polish/smooth things out a bit not trying to enlarge the chamber.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought nitride was harder than woodpecker lips? i.e. a little judicious polishing would hardly remove anything.
    Silicon carbide is harder than nitride but I have not tried polishing nitride and defer to constructor that it would take "2-3 minutes at high speed" to cause damage.
    Last edited by Disciple; 07-27-22 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I don't think that will happen with normal usage of the flex-hone, nitride is pretty durable.

ETA: OOPS, should have read the entire thread.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-27-22 at 21:57.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12