Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMI Smashed Primer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    You may torch cut your bolt face so go ahead and try it. We want to see it. Just don't get your face anywhere near the gun.
    I might just have to buy a cheap PSA upper to give this a try haha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will get around to pulling it for components, just figured I would share it first.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have had one 9mm case with no flash hole and one that was not crimped/tapered. Both were from major manufacturers and both stopped me in my tracks.

I have managed to install a primer backwards but caught it as soon as it happened.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have had one 9mm case with no flash hole
    I've read about that before too.

I have managed to install a primer backwards but caught it as soon as it happened.
    Oh Lord. As a Dillon 550b owner, I'm mashed, flipped, flopped, and flapped a ton of primers. I quit running that primer system over 10 years ago.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So if it was more centered on the primer, what's the chances of whatever hit there to the edge of the primer igniting/firing that round?
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    So if it was more centered on the primer, what's the chances of whatever hit there to the edge of the primer igniting/firing that round?
    Very low. It has to strike just right and quickly enough to ignite. I'm smashed the crap out of many primers. I've only had one ignite and that was because it was seated in the cup, and I whipped the swing arm (out of habit from clearing debris) against the press body. It was a damaged primer stuck in the cup, and it got smacked straight onto the press body.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've read about that before too.

Oh Lord. As a Dillon 550b owner, I'm mashed, flipped, flopped, and flapped a ton of primers. I quit running that primer system over 10 years ago.
    I posted a 380 with no flash hole here in like 2018. I’ve also had at least one 9mm with a flipped primer. Both from longstanding major manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Flipped primers are easy to get. Missing them on simple inspection is unacceptable.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a Hornady critical duty 9mm with no primer hole. Found out testing a new g19 to see what it liked to carry it. Sent it back to Hornady and never heard anything again. Hornady is the only factory ammo I have ever had duds with and case head separations. They always blame it on the gun never their ammo.

I buy their bullets now but never their ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I had a Hornady critical duty 9mm with no primer hole. Found out testing a new g19 to see what it liked to carry it. Sent it back to Hornady and never heard anything again. Hornady is the only factory ammo I have ever had duds with and case head separations. They always blame it on the gun never their ammo.

I buy their bullets now but never their ammo.
    Finding a bad ball round is no big deal to me. Finding a bad defense round would cost them a customer for life.

That wouldn't apply so much for police who burn enough defense/HP ammo that there is bound to be a faulty round or two.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12