Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand pistol optics better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Trying to understand pistol optics better.

When red dot optic cuts started to become more popular and mainstream I feel like it was a flavor of: remove the rear sight and cover plate. That exposed a surface to which you mount a plate to than the optic of your choice.

Then I feel like manufactures left the rear sight on the slide, and the same thing occured.

In either of the above cases you'd need suppressor height sights in order to cowitness with the red dot, correct?

If the slide has a specific cut in it, say RMR, does that than sit low enough to cowitness with the factory sights?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    When red dot optic cuts started to become more popular and mainstream I feel like it was a flavor of: remove the rear sight and cover plate. That exposed a surface to which you mount a plate to than the optic of your choice.

Then I feel like manufactures left the rear sight on the slide, and the same thing occured.

In either of the above cases you'd need suppressor height sights in order to cowitness with the red dot, correct?

If the slide has a specific cut in it, say RMR, does that than sit low enough to cowitness with the factory sights?
    On a glock, no. I dont think on any gun. I still find them useable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You will likely need suppressor height sights to co-witness an RMR regardless of whether or not the gun has a factory cut or not. I'm sure a couple of newer designs can be used with very low profile optics and standard height sights, but I believe they are the exception.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There are some designs of sight and cut combo that allow stock sights but they’re rare. Do you already have one or you’re considering buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do not currently own one. I was looking into the details before a potential purchase. I'm not even sure which gun I'd want to put one one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On my MOS Glocks I need suppressor sites partially because of the mounting plate associated with the red dot. I have two Glocks cut for a specific red dot. The dot rides low enough in the slide that the standard sites work.

Feedback Score
    Nighthawk has come out with what they call an IOS system (Interchangeable Optics System). While expensive, it does seem to be an elegant solution to the issue. It appears to be limited to 1911/2011 platforms.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/inte...e-optic-system

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I do not currently own one. I was looking into the details before a potential purchase. I'm not even sure which gun I'd want to put one one.
    I’m a fairly resolute Gen 5 Glock fan so I think the Glock 45 MOS with FCD plate is a great setup. I think I prefer the PA/Holosun ACSS 507 dot over any other too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I prefer backup sights to be in the very bottom of the window.

Co witness means to much stuff too look at (to busy).

I have solid black ameriglo suppressor sites on my guns with RMR's, I love that setup.
    My smaller guns with RMRcc"s have a different setup due to the size of the optic.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    Nighthawk has come out with what they call an IOS system (Interchangeable Optics System). While expensive, it does seem to be an elegant solution to the issue. It appears to be limited to 1911/2011 platforms.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/inte...e-optic-system
    It’s basically the same as the agency AOS for Glocks (I think they worked on it together).
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast