Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Sight Tool Binding

Feedback Score

Front Sight Tool Binding

I have a Palmetto State Armory M4 build with the F-marked front sight, and I bought one of those front sight tools with 4 prongs on one end and 5 on the other. When I attempted to use the tool, however, the prongs wouldn't reach far enough to engage because the tool was binding against the "flaps" of the sight. Anyone else having this problem? Any alternate tools that might work?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I would not put it past PSA to have an out of spec front sight and a lot of those tools are cheezy chicom bullshit. My guess is one or both are your problem.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...l.aspx?pid=322
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can do it with a FMJ bullet if you don't want to wait for the new tool to arrive. The sight in this video is a Magpul, but it works exactly the same with the military type front sight.

Feedback Score
    Easiest way I’ve ever seen to adjust a front sight post is to stab the front sight post with a No. 2 pencil ✏️ eraser and then depress the plunger with a small punch or bullet tip. Once depressed, you can spin the pencil and and thereby the the post with ease in either direction.
    Last edited by DoubleW; 07-24-22 at 20:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Easiest way I’ve ever seen to adjust a front sight post is to stab the front sight post with a No. 2 pencil ✏️ eraser and then depress the plunger with a small punch or bullet tip. Once depressed, you can spin the pencil and and thereby the the post with ease in either direction.
    That's actually brilliant.

Feedback Score
    I'm familiar with the bullet tip method and the nail method. I tried the pencil eraser method, and it worked like magic. You do have to literally stab the sight post up into the eraser, though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does that work with A1 sights (round post)?

That is a great idea, someone should suggest that to Brownells - they could make a magna-tip for that application.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulfton View Post
    I have a Palmetto State Armory M4 build with the F-marked front sight, and I bought one of those front sight tools with 4 prongs on one end and 5 on the other. When I attempted to use the tool, however, the prongs wouldn't reach far enough to engage because the tool was binding against the "flaps" of the sight. Anyone else having this problem? Any alternate tools that might work?
    Not unusual for tool, gun, sight to be F'd up enough for that to happen. Regardless of brand. Sign of the times over the past several years. In my experience it's normally the adjustment tool. Have ground down quite a few. My last "mod" to one was a bit of dremeling, blue tape, crammed into .45acp brass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    In my experience it's normally the adjustment tool. Have ground down quite a few.[/img]
    I tried grinding mine down, but a prong ended up buckling when I attempted to adjust the sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I inevitably just use a bullet to adjust the front sight. Most times I get to the range only to realize I forgot or can’t find my adjustment tool. Thankfully I have not gotten to the range and realized I’ve forgot ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast