Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adhesives for aluminum to carbon fiber attachment?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Adhesives for aluminum to carbon fiber attachment?

I am revisiting a problem I encountered a few months ago: I have only a tiny amount of clearance between a rail section (for a BUIS front sight) Mlok nut and a gas block. The handguard is carbon fiber, and I have only one spot for the BUIS to go. After basic assembly, there was contact between the Mlok screw and the block. Even after shortening the screw, there is less than the thickness of a 3x5 card between the gas block and the nut, and barrel whip/flux/flex/vibration/whatever continues to cause contact. Go ahead and laugh at me, but it's a situation I would rather not have.

Currently, I am using only the front Mlok screw and nut. I can solve the problem by leaving off the rear screw and nut, but I would rather have another point of attachment. Swapping out gas blocks would probably not solve the problem. (The difference between a relatively tall block, like the Geissele, and a short one, like the BCM, is only about 0.012".) I could grind off a chunk of the gas block, buy a different barrel (with a shorter gas system), or buy a longer handguard.

Or, because I am strange and stubborn, I could try an adhesive to make the front sight base a "bomb proof" installation. I consider a front sight base to be a fairly permanent addition, so that doesn't bother me. After scouring the web for ideas, at websites used by bicyclists, hobbyists, archers, etc., I have collected (and offer for your amusement) only a few suggestions. Evidently, aluminum and carbon fiber to not work well together with most glues. In this case, the front sight base is a specialty low profile item, so a Magpul plastic base will not work. They are:

Specialty adhesives: used by the aerospace industry; obscure, expensive, and difficult to find.

Fiberglass strips as a bridge: both aluminum and carbon fiber would rather attach to fiberglass via epoxies than to each other.

High temp epoxies: even if you get a good bond with a fiberglass strip or a specialty epoxy, most glues start to fail at about 350 degrees F; assembly would be sitting right over the gas block, so maybe a crappy hold for a high temp epoxy is better than a good hold that will fail at high heat.

Chewing gum: No kidding; it came from a Brit archery guy who had to attach aluminum points to carbon fiber shafts; easy to apply and replace as necessary.

Any other more specific suggestions?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    JB Weld, FAQ does NOT list either material in their list of what their product does not work with.

https://www.jbweld.com/faqs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why can’t you get a longer rail section with three attachment screws and use two of them?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    JB Weld, FAQ does NOT list either material in their list of what their product does not work with.

.45fan:

Yeah, JB Weld is pretty special stuff. It's worked well for me a bunch of times, but has not ALWAYS worked as expected. I have a tube of high temp (450 deg. F sustained, 500 deg. F intermittent) JB Weld epoxy putty on my bench (which I have never used before). If I can't find anything better, or run out of chewing gum, that's going to be my first choice.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post

I've used JB Weld on a lot of shit not on the package.

If this isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is:
    "I have used J-B Weld for more than five years on my farm equipment and I have decided that it is even better than bailing wire." -A Kansas farmer said,
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    Even after shortening the screw, there is less than the thickness of a 3x5 card between the gas block and the nut, and barrel whip/flux/flex/vibration/whatever continues to cause contact. Go ahead and laugh at me, but it's a situation I would rather not have.
    Not laughing, the struggle is real. Sometimes I hate M-Lok and considering ditching it and going back to Pic.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Why can’t you get a longer rail section with three attachment screws and use two of them?
    Todd.K:

Thanks, but, been there, tried that, I am ordering the t-shirt. The problem is when using the three bolt Mlok version, both the rearward nuts come in contact with the gas block. It's a pretty unfortunate spacing circumstance that I did not anticipate when ordering this group of parts. I have also tried placing the Mlok rail (both two and three bolt versions) behind the gas block (i.e., closer to the receiver than the gas block), but the clearance with the gas tube is not very good, and I would rather have the block smacking into the nut than the gas tube. Also, it's just not where I want the rail section to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Titsonritz:

You can't really say that a Kansas farmer doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to repairs. I have actually given some thought to the misapplication of the word " fix" for "repair". When you fix something, you are making it rigid in a particular place; it only moves it it is part of another mechanism that moves. In the days when most machines were mechanical, a repair was replacing the handle, or reattaching the harrow blade, or reinstalling the exhaust hose. That was "fixing", which eventually morphed into "repair".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe you can find some of these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003260586

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast