Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adhesives for aluminum to carbon fiber attachment?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Not laughing, the struggle is real. Sometimes I hate M-Lok and considering ditching it and going back to Pic.
    titsonritz:

Just try finding a Centurion C4 pic rail these days.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Maybe you can find some of these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003260586
    Todd.K:

I think I remember these, and wondering what they were good for. Now I know. It would be a bit of trouble, but I might make some of these for future projects. Thanks for the idea.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They were for the old Troy handguards with Vtac slots

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Still available with a sling stud and plastic washer.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003261228

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would try a local body shop that deals in high end cars.....there are adhesives out there that would bond to both materials...Lord Fusor and 3M are two of them...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    titsonritz:

Just try finding a Centurion C4 pic rail these days.
    Centurion currently has a 9" and 12" in stock.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I would try a local body shop that deals in high end cars.....there are adhesives out there that would bond to both materials...Lord Fusor and 3M are two of them...
    Never heard of Fusor. I am going to have to check them out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Centurion currently has a 9" and 12" in stock.
    Thanks for that info. I am just coming off a bunch of builds and I have yet to shoot any of them. (One of them did not pass a no go check; the manufacturer said to shoot it anyway. We shall see.) I usually get the 10" anyway, but I have to plan for a new project before I get to looking for handguards.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Why don't you put put a proper tube on it. Sounds like you are chasseing you tail trying to make incompatible parts play together with glue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why don't you put put a proper tube on it. Sounds like you are chasseing you tail trying to make incompatible parts play together with glue.
    GH41:

That's a fair question. Here's an answer:

This project was based on an idea that a "utility carbine" could be put together that would have about 90% of the capabilities of the overloaded duty carbines I've seen around, including some NV lasers and/or illuminators, but weigh as little as you could reasonably expect. The list of stuff that some people think is required on a duty carbine is pretty daunting. It used to be sufficient to say you have an optic, a light, and a sling and you were good. I ran into one guy doing military sales who had a carbine with a LPVO, a MAWL, a PEQ, offset RDS, another light ... damn near busted a gut trying to pick it up. I started to plan a carbine that shaved off ounces where I could, and use fixed power optics instead of a LPVO, but be made from off the shelf parts. This is not "Project Featherweight".

At any rate, I was not aware that Wilson Combat's new proprietary gas system for their (lighter, but not lightweight Ranger) barrel would cause my plans to go awry. And, until the last few weeks, a Streamline carbon fiber handguard that would work (the 15" version) was made of unobtainium. It is usable, but longer than I want, and another $350 on the budget. If I continue down this road, I see these choices:

1. Buy the 15" handguard
    2. Bombproof the problem front sight rail on the 13" handguard (using one Mlok attachment and glue)
    3. Not use a BUIS
    4. Change the barrel to a midlength (if I can find the right profile)
    5. Change the handguard (probably something heavier)
    6. Start from scratch

This is one of four uppers that might work for this project. It was also the first I put together, and I have learned from my mistakes. Any suggestions are welcome.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast