Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adhesives for aluminum to carbon fiber attachment?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    GH41:

That's a fair question. Here's an answer:

I ran into one guy doing military sales who had a carbine with a LPVO, a MAWL, a PEQ, offset RDS, another light ... damn near busted a gut trying to pick it up. I started to plan a carbine that shaved off ounces where I could, and use fixed power optics instead of a LPVO, but be made from off the shelf parts. This is not "Project Featherweight".

This is one of four uppers that might work for this project. It was also the first I put together, and I have learned from my mistakes. Any suggestions are welcome.
    You can't shave off enough weight to allow for all of that crap on one rifle. My first thought was to try 3M contact cement. But after reading this, my advice is not to put all that garbage on one rifle and make up your own mind, based on experience and use about what is truly necessary.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    lysander:

OK. I get it. Amazon is out, so I'll have to look around.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You can't shave off enough weight to allow for all of that crap on one rifle. My first thought was to try 3M contact cement. But after reading this, my advice is not to put all that garbage on one rifle and make up your own mind, based on experience and use about what is truly necessary.
    HKGuns:

Well, I agree completely. Part of this concept involves stripping out heavy gear for lighter versions that have most of the same capabilities. For example, this build has a TA31 (4x ACOG) mounted on a reverse cantilever mount as a primary optic, and a RMR in an offset mount. This setup weighs in at about 17 oz. The lightest LPVO I have is a Kahles 1-6x in a Scalarworks mount, weighing about 23 oz. The Kahles setup gives you excellent glass and 2x extra magnification. The ACOG gives you pretty good glass, 6 oz. less weight, and much faster transitions from 1x to max (in this case, 4x) and back. Also, using a RDS like the RMR gives you a chance at passive NV sight pictures.

There's a lot more to this game of AR Legos than the above. I'm just playing mix-and-match until I get something that seems to work.

One of my downfalls is I am stubborn about BUIS: if I can get them on, I will. It adds extra weight, and time, and money, and gets me involved starting threads like this, but I want them.

Any comments more than welcome.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    lysander:

OK. I get it. Amazon is out, so I'll have to look around.
    Sorry, wrong link.

https://www.eis-inc.com/product/epox...-ph11-loc-9340

You can also try SkyGeek or Zoro

Feedback Score
    Why not just move the front sight to a place where a rail section would not interfere with the gas block? The Streamline has M-LOK along the entire length of the 1200, no? They're BUIS, shortened sight radius isn't a big deal. Alternatively, just go offset, there are plenty of M-LOK attachment BUIS.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 07-26-22 at 11:54.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    HKGuns:

Well, I agree completely.

One of my downfalls is I am stubborn about BUIS: if I can get them on, I will. It adds extra weight, and time, and money, and gets me involved starting threads like this, but I want them.

Any comments more than welcome.
    I used to be as well.

Nearly all of my rifles had them. Then I realized I don’t want them on an LPVO rifle so they only are on my red dot rifles where they make the most sense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never heard of Fusor. I am going to have to check them out.
    Fusor is a great product...used by many OEM car makers..

Feedback Score
    Grind/file the back side of the Mlok nut down a few thou, then the screw to match...Should be plenty of meat for the little bit more clearance you need. You said you have a piece of paper's clearance, there's at least two more pieces of paper worth of metal you could grind off the back of the nut and still be locked in solid. I had to do this on my 10.5" pistol.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 07-26-22 at 23:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Sorry, wrong link.

https://www.eis-inc.com/product/epox...-ph11-loc-9340

You can also try SkyGeek or Zoro
    lysander:

I sent you a PM on this, having missed the SkyGeek reference. SkyGeek is out too, so I ordered from (and paid too much to) McMaster-Carr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast