Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic for a new shooter, first rifle

Feedback Score

Optic for a new shooter, first rifle

I just completed a build with my son, 16" midlength and looking for advise on an optic. He's went shooting a few times and enjoys it, good form and attention to detail. Purpose of build is to promote the sport/enjoyment of shooting. I had him check out my 1-4 Burris, Pro, Holsun 400(?), Eotec, and 1-8 accupower (which he liked but not an option, lol). He liked the Holsun.

This will be an all around firearm. Plinking mostly. He has little desire to hunt. I have long range rigs he can use, so not the purpose of this build.

Is the holsun a good start? Options, suggestions?

NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    A Holosun is a good low cost option.
    It has now been "battle tested" in Ukraine.

Are there better optics out there? Sure, but it a descent entry level optic.
    Also have a look at the Vortex offerings.

Feedback Score
    Since holosun is a Chinese company making their products in China and most forums have many threads with complaints of them breaking. I could never use or recommend them.

Vortex has some non Chinese options, eotech, trijicon, aimpoint are others I would use and recommend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ld say go with a LPVO. It might be more versatile for a new shooter to experience every range with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If your son is old enough to shoot an AR, then he's old enough to decide what optic he prefers.....which has been identified as the Holosun. If that's what he prefers, then that's what the carbine should receive. They're less expensive than the cost of ammo used in a few range trips.

I personally wouldn't buy one, but the optic's reliability and usefulness on a carbine intended to only be used as a casual plinker should be fully adequate.
    Last edited by grizzman; 07-25-22 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    You might check out the Sig Romeo 4t series.

For all I know, it's probably made by Holosun anyway but at least you have Sig's warranty backing it up. Similar reticle options, too. If the 4t is out of budget, they have cheaper choices, too- like the Romeo5, 4s, 4H, etc.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint Pro are also great options.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXDSG View Post
    I just completed a build with my son, 16" midlength and looking for advise on an optic. He's went shooting a few times and enjoys it, good form and attention to detail. Purpose of build is to promote the sport/enjoyment of shooting. I had him check out my 1-4 Burris, Pro, Holsun 400(?), Eotec, and 1-8 accupower (which he liked but not an option, lol). He liked the Holsun.

This will be an all around firearm. Plinking mostly. He has little desire to hunt. I have long range rigs he can use, so not the purpose of this build.

Is the holsun a good start? Options, suggestions?

NIXDSG
    I know you didn’t mention it but maybe look in to the Trijicon 1-4 or 1-6 Accupoint. Low cost, great glass, fairly rugged.

Feedback Score
    I think that budget will also drive the decision.
    Is it His $$ or Yours...
    I think that you could give him some options ( as mentioned here Holosun, EO Tech Aimprint etc) and let him decide... if you built it for him let him get some skin in the game on the optic and so he learns the value of what you built for him. The optics mention on here are solid choices... keep him away from the amazon specials

Take him to a LGS and let him look thru a few different choices to see what he likes.

This is just my opinion, but it is what I did with my son on his first build...

Feedback Score
    I really enjoy mine with the leupold VX Freedom 4-12x40 rifle scope. Light, has great glass, and you can opt to get it with the cds dial to go out easier. I prefer the trimoa reticle as well. The alum caps are the "cats meow" as well, if you can muster the cost of those.
    https://accurateordnance.com/ proves good suggestion for rifle you may check here.
    Last edited by wyn; 11-10-22 at 20:22.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast