Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Optic for a new shooter, first rifle

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I know you didn’t mention it but maybe look in to the Trijicon 1-4 or 1-6 Accupoint. Low cost, great glass, fairly rugged.
    There is a pretty good $ stretch between a Holosun and an Accupoint

I would suggest an LPVO, but you gave him a great range of optics to try, so why not a Holosun or equivalent? Preferably not Chinese.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-15-22 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    A new shooter should stay away from optics until they can be confident with hitting small targets with irons.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 33XRAY View Post
    A new shooter should stay away from optics until they can be confident with hitting small targets with irons.
    Bullshit. This isn’t 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Bullshit. This isn’t 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No kidding. Where do these guys come from?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That Holosun should be just fine. I have all the top end optics and Holosun is a great value.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In my experience, a red dot is the best tool for teaching a new shooter. So much easier to train the mechanics of shooting when the entirety of aiming is "the bullet will hit where the dot is".

After the shooter has familiarity with everything else, learning to aim with irons, scope, etc. is a natural transition.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-19-22 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Why start with something inferior?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I got him a Holsun, just as he requested. Was the cheapest of those he tried so it's a win win.

When/if he wants its easy to change to a 1-4 or other later.

NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    When I learned the fundamentals of shooting I gained a mutual respect for iron sights. Everything else was much easier. Plus I notice most people can't seem to handle iron sights, and they use way to much ammo to sight in their red dot or what not. Irons sites are the base weapon optic system. I would only call them inferior on something like call of duty.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When I learned the fundamentals of shooting I gained a mutual respect for iron sights. Everything else was much easier. Plus I notice most people can't seem to handle iron sights, and they use way to much ammo to sight in their red dot or what not. Irons sites are the base weapon optic system. I would only call them inferior on something like call of duty.
    Irons are obsolescent, anyone with a timer can tell you this and are best used a secondary or tertiary sighting system. What should a new shooter use to learn with? How about the optic he is going to be using most often, thats the right answer. Irons can be learned later as a back up the best bang for ammo spent is your primary sighting system.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast