Thread: To replace or not.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

To replace or not.

I am coming to a point where the knuckle joint of my right index finger is constantly painful. For the last 3 years I have been getting injections in it about once a year. So far this year I have had two. Usually pain relief lasted 7 to 8 months, now its down to 3 to 4 months. Although it helps I don't want to take ibuprofen because of the kidney damage issues, I am in stage 2 kidney disease now.
    Doc said joint implant or fusion is the next step.
    Recovery for both is at least 3 months, which would mean pretty much no weightlifting with the right hand/arm. Presently I use lifting straps for dead lifts and shrugs to avoid strain on the fingers.
    Also I can't get a good answer on the strength and durability of the joint implant. I really don't want to go the fusion route.
    Has anyone here had a similar issue.

Feedback Score
    Joint replacement is almost always a better choice than a fusion given that a procedure is done right and without any other complications. Ask your doctor about how long most people get out of it before a revision is needed. Fusion is a very debilitating procedure with a lot of functionality lost due to structural changes. With a replacement you will hopefully be able to regain most of the functionality of your hand with some restrictions. When I get home I will hopefully be able to find information from my continuing education class from a year ago. It was talking about other options that most doctors do not usually discuss or even offer to patients, but some found them to be very helpful and a lot less invasive.

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Update, Injections are now off the table since they are no longer working. Two different hand doctors have told me I am not a candidate for joint replacement because it would not stand up to my lifestyle, mechanic. carpentry, weight lifting and other grip centric activities. The hinge part of the joint is made of silicone and does not hold up to heavy use, just light nose picking use.
    One doctor offered to do a resection of the joint to increase the space between the bones, there is no space now.
    I can only find information on this procedure being done on the thumb joint not the knuckle joint.
    Between the pain and the swelling has become difficult to get a smooth and steady trigger squeeze, I shoot better using my middle finger than with the index finger with the 5# pull on my Glocks.
    I can not take ibuprofen and other NSAIDs because of heart and kidney issues. I am taking 6 Tylenol arthritis a day and it just dulls the pain.
    Something has to give.