Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BRT or BCM now or wait for Geissele?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

BRT or BCM now or wait for Geissele?

First world problems here.

I just picked up a Radian Builders kit and have everything to finish it except the barrel.

I want to keep this build fairly light so I am looking at either a BCM ELW barrel or a Black River Tactical 16". I know both are great barrels. However the other option would be to wait for Geissele to get more in stock.

Any real Pros or cons on any of these choices that you all can think of that I may be missing?

This will actually be my only 16 inch AR. It will have a Tango6T on top but most of my shooting is within a couple hundred Yards.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’d go BRT all day every day over the other two. The BCM will only be overgassed at best and Geissele has no clue what they’re doing with their standalone barrels. No. Clue.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I’d go BRT all day every day over the other two. The BCM will only be overgassed at best and Geissele has no clue what they’re doing with their standalone barrels. No. Clue.
    First i have heard on the Geissele barrels. What is going on there?
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    The Geissele SD rifles seem to have awesome accuracy reviews, so that's weird to hear their standalone barrels aren't good. Do you know what's wrong with them?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They’ve been sending out has ports so small they won’t cycle anything, and cutting chambers short enough that M193 gets the bullet jammed down in the lands.

I had a bad 14.5” mid that I sent back, that they replaced with a worse barrel.

Feedback Score
    They’ve been sending out has ports so small they won’t cycle anything, and cutting chambers short enough that M193 gets the bullet jammed down in the lands.

I had a bad 14.5” mid that I sent back, that they replaced with a worse barrel.
    If the chamber is short the shoulder will stop it and the bullet and freebore will be at the same relative distance from the shoulder. The bolt would not lock up and would not fire.

Even the Remington .223 chamber has enough freebore that it will not push a 55gr fmj(M193) back into the case.

Are you saying they are cutting chambers with damaged reamers that have zero freebore?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    BCM ELW is the killer profile if weight is a priority. Pappabear's Geissele is laser, but he said he's heard of complaints.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    No experience with BRT. If weight or time is at all a concern, BCM. There are a few threads on TOS tracking Geissele issues, both complete uppers and stand alone barrels.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    If the chamber is short the shoulder will stop it and the bullet and freebore will be at the same relative distance from the shoulder. The bolt would not lock up and would not fire.

Even the Remington .223 chamber has enough freebore that it will not push a 55gr fmj(M193) back into the case.

Are you saying they are cutting chambers with damaged reamers that have zero freebore?
    Correct. No freebore.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have samples of all three brands.

My Geissele SD 16" (bought as a complete upper) shoots very nicely, but recent issues are a cause for concern.

My BCMs (regular, BFH, SS410...all purchased as complete uppers) are the older gov-profile (not EWL). Most shoot very well (<1.5 MOA), with the SS410 shooting the best. There were reports of accuracy issues with the SS410, but that was quite some time ago...mine is <1MOA with good ammo (when I do my part).

My BRT 14.5 (pin and weld, upper built by me) shoots very well, but is still at a very low round-count. Still, I was encouraged enough by the accuracy to order another one (currently on the way). I'd say if BRT has what you want in stock, it's a solid choice.

-Rainman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast