Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOCOM awards "Armed Overwatch" contract

Feedback Score

SOCOM awards "Armed Overwatch" contract

Can't say that I've heard of this particular aircraft:

"MELBOURNE, Fla. — U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has selected L3Harris Technologies (NYSE:LHX) and Air Tractor, Inc.’s AT-802U Sky Warden™ system for its Armed Overwatch program. Award of the Indefinite Quantity, Indefinite Delivery contract includes a cost ceiling of $3 billion. The program includes delivery of up to 75 manned, fixed wing aircraft, with an initial program contract award of $170 million."

https://www.l3harris.com/newsroom/pr...-ussocom-armed

Feedback Score
    OV-10 or nothing…. But I will entertain the idea of a OV-20….

One engine…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Can't say that I've heard of this particular aircraft:

"MELBOURNE, Fla. — U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has selected L3Harris Technologies (NYSE:LHX) and Air Tractor, Inc.’s AT-802U Sky Warden™ system for its Armed Overwatch program. Award of the Indefinite Quantity, Indefinite Delivery contract includes a cost ceiling of $3 billion. The program includes delivery of up to 75 manned, fixed wing aircraft, with an initial program contract award of $170 million."

https://www.l3harris.com/newsroom/pr...-ussocom-armed
    Air Tractor gets a lot of mileage out of the airframe. One of my son's friends is the youngest and first female FireBoss pilot. https://fireaviation.com/2022/07/21/...re-boss-pilot/ Might be time for her to get a new job.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A tail dragging crop duster ain't sexy but ought to make a good mud fighter. Question is who is going to fly it, Key West agreement banned Army armed fixed wing.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    And $3B may be enough for the AF to care and add and afterburner, nuclear capability, and stealth to it…. And a smaller engine.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Based on the picture and name ‘sky tractor’ that very much looks like a repurposed crop duster…

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It is a repurposed crop duster with a L3 surveillance/targeting pod and hard points for weapons, it was in the light attack competition along with the Super Tucano and AT-6 but I never though it had a chance of being selected because it was so ugly compared to them. Not a lot of fighter jocks going to be trying to get it as their first assignment, main role will be flying circles doing ISR, sad to say I see more of a domestic role spying on us deplorables.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 08-02-22 at 07:15.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    A tail dragging crop duster ain't sexy but ought to make a good mud fighter. Question is who is going to fly it, Key West agreement banned Army armed fixed wing.
    AFSOC is lead agency, so I guess the AF.

They'll get the pilots from the same place they get the candidates for the other AFSOC-centric AC. Not everyone want to be a fighter pilot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Isn't this what EP was trying to do with the Thrush 510G a few years back?
    https://theintercept.com/2016/04/11/...ate-air-force/

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Isn't this what EP was trying to do with the Thrush 510G a few years back?
    https://theintercept.com/2016/04/11/...ate-air-force/
    Not really. SOCOM needed a low speed, maintainable aircraft that could loiter for a long time and provide ISR and rapid CAS. I guess it's kind of what he wanted, but they really need to be organic to SOCOM not a contracted service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast