Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele 14.5 SD Upper initial impressions

Feedback Score

Geissele 14.5 SD Upper initial impressions

Finally got my new Geissele SD 14.5 upper in on Saturday and shot on first thing on Sunday (7/24/22) , put around 100rds down range and it seems to be very accurate right out of the box (shooting out to 50 yrds). The bluing or proprietary finish is a little different, as the upper seems Blue-Gray to the rail, which is more of a standard black you have with DD, SOLGW, AERO, etc. It is definitely a quality upper, everything seems like it was inspected and put together to the highest standard. It did come in a oily film of some kind that I wiped down upon opening. I was just shooting mixed 55gr (Armscor, Aguila, PMC). I put this 14.5 Geissele upper on an existing ADM complete lower that I've had for probably 4 years now, it replaced a DD v7 upper, which I really liked but felt that the 16" barrel with a Warcomp was a little long and unwieldy for a GP carbine. Obviously I need to shoot it more but it does feel like the weight is still there with the profile of the Geissele, but a shorter barrel and rail are noticeable when your pointing it. So shot the Geissele upper along doping my original DD V5 with a PA red dot and My 16" BCM ELW BFH upper on an Aero lower, all in all they all shot pretty well the Geissele seemed a little more pushy, not necessary punchy but my DD and BCM have the BCM Mod O comp and considering it is just a flash suppressor I guess I've been a little spoiled on compensated muzzles.
    G5.jpg

Went back out with targets Sunday (7/31/22) and had a lot of trouble zeroing my Acog at 100yards, some 3 shot groups were well within 1moa and the others where well within 2-3 moa. Part of this is the fact that I tend to zero with a leadsled which my father in law currently has, and it was clear that my Acog with a kram mount and ADM mount needed to be loctited down further. I tightened them up as much as possible and shot some decent groups but not as accurate as I feel was possible from the barrel. The other issue was the ammo, shooting the same ammo can with Armscor, Aguila, PMC, and Fenix I think that they are all different enough to produce different results. While in the 230-300 rounds I did shoot I didn't have an issue at all with the performance of the gun. I want to zero the rifle to 62gr, or 77gr which I need to get out and buy a few boxes and post my results on each as well as I want to put on different glass with more magnification to help verify what accuracy I can expect overall with this upper as baseline.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Trying to add in additional Pics but they are too big. I'm horrible at this, but am working on getting them on for everyone to see.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Trying to add in additional Pics but they are too big. I'm horrible at this, but am working on getting them on for everyone to see.
    Go to Flickr.com and open a free account. Upload your photos there and then link them here when you want to post photos. Click on the attach photo icon here, select the From URL tab, enter the photo's URL in the URL box, and then uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box. Done.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    [IMG]G by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Hank6046; 07-31-22 at 18:41. Reason: Trying to post pics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Go to Flickr.com and open a free account. Upload your photos there and then link them here when you want to post photos. Click on the attach photo icon here, select the From URL tab, enter the photo's URL in the URL box, and then uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box. Done.
    George you are a Saint and a Gentleman

Feedback Score
    [IMG]G3 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    [IMG]G2 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    [IMG]G4 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate this, I've been toying with adding one of these to my collection. Definitely seems like the gun has the potential to be very accurate with ammo it likes.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I appreciate this, I've been toying with adding one of these to my collection. Definitely seems like the gun has the potential to be very accurate with ammo it likes.
    Honestly, I have 2 feelings about this upper. The first is that this thing is one of the best uppers I've ever seen, really well put together and extremely well made and the other is that this is just as good as my DD upper I replaced it with only less predicable and when measured against my BCM and other DD's I own is good and keeps up, but does nothing more for the money. I honestly need to get more rds down range more to verify. The one thing I really like is how in standing, point shooting the upper seems to more accurate and predicable than bench shooting when I try to dope in my Acog, my 509T seems like it just preforms with this upper and I can do no wrong, but a lot of that is in the standing and compensating for 100 yrd 6 inch plates, which this thing manages to ring all the time. Overall, I want this thing to work, and believe it will, but its not as versatile as my DD or BCM uppers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast