Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geissele 14.5 SD Upper initial impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Honestly, I have 2 feelings about this upper. The first is that this thing is one of the best uppers I've ever seen, really well put together and extremely well made and the other is that this is just as good as my DD upper I replaced it with only less predicable and when measured against my BCM and other DD's I own is good and keeps up, but does nothing more for the money. I honestly need to get more rds down range more to verify. The one thing I really like is how in standing, point shooting the upper seems to more accurate and predicable than bench shooting when I try to dope in my Acog, my 509T seems like it just preforms with this upper and I can do no wrong, but a lot of that is in the standing and compensating for 100 yrd 6 inch plates, which this thing manages to ring all the time. Overall, I want this thing to work, and believe it will, but its not as versatile as my DD or BCM uppers.
    How has the reliability been?
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.”- Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    So I only have 200+, maybe 300rds down the barrel at this point and haven't shot it again this month, but the reliability has been great for those rounds. I am hoping to take it up north this weekend and take it out in the woods to see how it will do, but as they say "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry".
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    So maybe another 200rds down the barrel and doped to (for now) 55gr Winchester. I'm trying to post as many pics as possible but Flickr is having an issue taking them from Android Camera.

Thoughts on about 2-3 hours at the range. Its obvious that this upper is very picky about ammo choice. It was 1.5-2 inch groupd with 55gr Winchester (the cheapest stuff I could find), it also really liked PMC 55gr BT Hunting rounds, which grouped at under 1.5 inches, but with Fiocchi 62gr it opened up considerably. A few things to notice is that I started off the morning in light rain, and a good breeze. I only had my range bag to use as a rest and the group sizes reduced considerably when the rain stopped and I went into the prone and just rested off the Lancer magazine you see in the picture, however the 62gr Fiocchi still shot 2-4 inch groups at 100yrds.

[IMG]2022-08-28_12-04-48 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]2022-08-28_12-15-31 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    PMC 55gr BT hunting load with flyer

[IMG]2022-08-28_12-13-51 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    PMC 55gr BT hunting load without my flyer
    Last edited by Hank6046; 08-28-22 at 12:26. Reason: trying to make it look semi professional
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    [IMG]2022-08-28_12-15-00 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG] 62gr Fiocchi which I normally have good luck with

[IMG]2022-08-28_12-14-50 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]

2inch group of 62gr Fiocchi

[IMG]2022-08-28_12-14-13 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    55gr Winchester

Additional information: not one hickup or issue with the upper thus far, approximately 500rds in, just that it doesn't like me moving from on ammo to another without dramatic shift in zero. All ejection has been great and throws them pretty far at the 3'o clock position. I really want to like this upper and have enough of the same ammo to make it viable for my General Purpose (go-to) rifle, but really was expecting more from Giessele based off their other products.

I want to bring out another rifle, if not 2 and see if I get the same results with the same ammo I shot today or at least take note of the differences, and weigh the positives and negatives of all respectively.
    Last edited by Hank6046; 08-28-22 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, you need to buy some quality 69's or 77 grain ammo to see how accurate it can be. With the ammo you used, it seems reasonable results and I bet great Mao will give great results. I know if you dont handled, it can be pricy. But hell one box of FGGM or BH mk262 could make you love that upper.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle. I wanted a Geissele rifle because I was impressed with their triggers and really like their MK4/8 Rails; just was wary of the quality/accuracy of their barrels, not that I thought they would be bad, just that they wouldn't be great, at least for as much as they charge for the gun. This was a couple years ago so they may be much better now.

I decided to just build one the way I wanted it, but with a 14.5" DD barrel and Mk4 rail. It's my favorite gun and my second most accurate AR next to a my 16" scoped gun using the same barrel.

It's an honest 1.5moa with quality ammo to 100 yards with no magnification.

As far as your groups, I have significant shifts switching from one brand of ammo to another but it's not really noticeable inside of 100 yards.

Winchester "Target" is probably some of the most inconsistently grouping ammo. When it was cheap it, it was good enough, but it's one of the more expensive "bulk" options now.

Federal was my go-to for years for that sweet spot of accuracy/cost; but I rarely see it and when I do it's expensive.

Lately I've been using IMI. Good stuff.

I have some IMI 77gr match that I just bought I want to try with my scoped AR.
    Last edited by OutofBatt3ry; 08-28-22 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yea, you need to buy some quality 69's or 77 grain ammo to see how accurate it can be. With the ammo you used, it seems reasonable results and I bet great Mao will give great results. I know if you dont handled, it can be pricy. But hell one box of FGGM or BH mk262 could make you love that upper.

PB
    I'm not exactly unhappy, I guess just a little disappointed with the predictability for the money verse my initial DD upper and my other rifles, BCM, PWS, etc. I did look to get some quality ammo, but my I ended up at my local big box store because my LGS have odd hours over the summer, but so do I with the kids baseball, soccer, golf etc.

I also truly dope all my rifles in with a lead-sled or a one peace shooting rest, which I haven't done with this rifle, because of my kind Midwest nature that let my father in law borrow it over 4 months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post

As far as your groups, I have significant shifts switching from one brand of ammo to another but it's not really noticeable inside of 100 yards.

Winchester is "target" is probably some of the most inconsistently grouping ammo. When it was cheap it, it was good enough, but it's one of the more expensive "bulk" options now.

Federal was my go-to for years for that sweet spot of accuracy/cost; but I rarely see it and when I do it's expensive.

Lately I've been using IMI. Good stuff.

I have some IMI 77gr match that I just bought I want to try with my scoped AR.
    Nice rifle, I have the MK8 on my BA 11.3 and I do like that rail, even if its a thick boy compared to my BCM and DD rails. I typically shoot PMC Xtac both 55gr and 62gr, as well as Armscor and WolfGold, all of which have done very well for me in the past, but my stocks have been running low as of late. I was hoping ammo would go back down but Old Joey in office has only done wonders for gun sales ( the only market under him that seems to be doing well) but I do agree with Winchester typically being the most variable, however this barrel seems to like it more than others, at least for the cheap stuff.

Feedback Score
    So in my on going evaluation of my 14.5 Geissele upper I shot about 220-300rds this beautiful holiday weekend. All of this was done in forest land and shooting steal, man do I like how this thing ran. I really like this upper especially when paired with the ACOG and 509T, I didn't have any hiccups save for a magazine (10+ year old ASC mag) that caused the bolt to go home on an empty chamber, the same mag also failed again in my brother in laws Rosco/Aero build.

It is a super soft shooting upper and just pinged away at 10 inch plates, when my aging self does Nutnfancy run and guns. While I seem to have issues in keeping a continuous zero, I had no issues making "head shots" on a 2/3rds Ipsc steel target at approximately 100 yards. The one issue I had was that it seems to heat up fast and retain heat more others.

So I think I am now at approximately 750rds, all of which have been flawless as far as hang ups and ejection. I will be cleaning soon and then head back to the range with match ammo, once I can find some at decent prices.

Feedback Score
    Hello all,
    Went out yesterday in the cool 40 degree Wisconsin (10-15 mph winds) weather to shoot match ammo through my 14.5 Geissele Super Duty Upper on an ADM lower with my TA31 ACOG at 100 yards and here is my results. I was shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr as well as Hornady Match 75gr

[IMG]2022-10-17_08-26-38 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr at 1.5 inch group at 100yrds

[IMG]2022-10-17_08-27-23 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr at 1.5 inch group at 100yrds

[IMG]2022-10-17_08-26-23 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Hornady Match 75gr, just over 2 inches at 100 yards

[IMG]2022-10-17_08-25-55 by Andrew Henry, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Hornady Match 75gr, just under an 1.5 inches at 100 yards

Overall I'm not exactly happy with the accuracy from this Geissele barrel and while this has proven to be minute of man accurate and extremely well put together and engineered, I am left wanting with the accuracy from a "Premium" AR brand. What also sours me, is the other posts from Molon, as well as some others on barrel issues and it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I really like all other aspect of the upper, and it has been reliable the entire time I've shot it, to where I keep wanting to love it, but when I realized I could have gotten other uppers or put a really great one together for the same $1200 I paid for this I again am a little soured on the upper.

Next steps will most likely be to put this against my other AR's, and show you their groupings with the same ammo, this will be a few weeks out as I cannot get back to the same range anytime soon, but after I do I will post the results.

Links from @Molon whom has previously posted on the barrel issues Geissele is currently experiencing.

geissele super duty fails to eject, fails to lock bolt back

four geissele barrels fail to extract part 1

four geissele barrels fail to extract part 2

Having to Mortar brand new 11.5 URGI part 1

having to mortar brand new 11.5" URGI part 2

geissele 16" barrel short-stroking

problem with yet another geissele 16" super duty

geissele super duty won't reliably chamber rounds

geissele barrel won't cycle reliably part 1

geissele barrel won't cycle reliably part 2

geissele 11.5" won't cycle reliably without a suppressor

geissele gas port size issue
    Last edited by Hank6046; 10-17-22 at 08:57. Reason: Further links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast