Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moon Clips for Carry?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Moon clips are kind of a hassle.

You have to match up cases with clip brand because some cases just wont fit. (And you damage the clip) or they fall out. Or they just flop too much. So you have to find ones that work right with your brass or vice versa.

Then you have to remove the brass when empty trying not to hurt your clips. I know they make tools for this but I haven't used one. I'd definitely try a speciality tool if I ever tried moon clips again.

You'll want moon clips enough for the maximum you may shoot in a day. Unless that clip-loading tool really works well. 300 rds? You'll need 50 clips for you 6-shooter.

And you have to get ones that arent too thick or too thin.
    Most of these problems you describe are related to 38/357Mag.
    The clips are thinner and are more susceptible to being bent. Also since the cartridges are long they provide more clip-bending leverage.
    I made a de-mooning tool from a broken camp chair. 8" of small diameter steel tubing that I cut a lip on one end for twisting the edge of the clip off the brass. In one of his videos, Jerry M. says he made a tool from a golf club handle that looks very similar.

Some of the sizing nuance has shown up with 9mm also but its less of an issue. The clips are thicker and the cartridges don't get as much leverage so bending is less of an issue.

45s have heavy clips and are not picky about brands for the most part. I have modified a set of range clips that allow me to reload them easily without a tool. Filing each clip in six places took some patience but its a one time test of concentration that makes life much easier going forward. Now, anytime I use someone else's gear for a Model 25/625, I'm reminded why sat down with a file and stack of clips one afternoon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Most of these problems you describe are related to 38/357Mag.
    The clips are thinner and are more susceptible to being bent. Also since the cartridges are long they provide more clip-bending leverage.
    I made a de-mooning tool from a broken camp chair. 8" of small diameter steel tubing that I cut a lip on one end for twisting the edge of the clip off the brass. In one of his videos, Jerry M. says he made a tool from a golf club handle that looks very similar.

Some of the sizing nuance has shown up with 9mm also but its less of an issue. The clips are thicker and the cartridges don't get as much leverage so bending is less of an issue.

45s have heavy clips and are not picky about brands for the most part. I have modified a set of range clips that allow me to reload them easily without a tool. Filing each clip in six places took some patience but its a one time test of concentration that makes life much easier going forward. Now, anytime I use someone else's gear for a Model 25/625, I'm reminded why sat down with a file and stack of clips one afternoon.
    Thanks, I didn't know that about the .45 acp clips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot a 4.2 inch Ruger Match Champion GP100 in 10MM Auto Cartridge. I use the ones I get from Ruger direct(moon clips)and also have had great use from some polymer made brand that I will have to look at to remember the name. I am not seeing how any one can use moon clips on any round that is not a semi-auto.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10MMGary View Post
    I shoot a 4.2 inch Ruger Match Champion GP100 in 10MM Auto Cartridge. I use the ones I get from Ruger direct(moon clips)and also have had great use from some polymer made brand that I will have to look at to remember the name. I am not seeing how any one can use moon clips on any round that is not a semi-auto.
    I have a 3" GP100 in 10mm and use the Ranch Products moonclips from Midway designed for one of the .40S&W L frame revolvers. I ordered a set of TK moons online and they're wonderfully finished and quite stout but at $8 each I took the return option and just use the Ranch moons.
    I'll carry two in my pants pocket and have yet to bend one or lose a cartridge. In my opinion any force strong enough to bend one is going to leave a mark near my tender parts that I'll notice. Really the only real world way to damage one would be by stepping on it laying on the ground.

One of my wishes is that someone (Starline) would make 10mm AutoRim brass for moonless use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123