Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place(s) to buy once fired 9mm brass?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Anyone picking up range brass is rolling the dice, unless it's from some LE or Mil ranges.
    Why is this? The only issue I've ever had with a range pick up was a few 223 case separations over the last 30 years... and that just happens from time to time with no damage to anything.

9mm brass is pretty much a commodity. Buying it is absolutely insane in my opinion. It's everywhere. Just pick it up. Any reloader worth a shit doing any sort of inspection can cull damaged brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anyone picking up range brass is rolling the dice, unless it's from some LE or Mil ranges.
    Total BS, especially with 9mm, but also in general. I'll pick up any brass I find and reload it after looking it over. Your first load will tell you how relatively used it is by how tight the primers seat.

You can also easily tell whether you are picking up reloads or factory brass............and unless they look stupid used, both will load and shoot just fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Total BS, especially with 9mm, but also in general. I'll pick up any brass I find and reload it after looking it over. Your first load will tell you how relatively used it is by how tight the primers seat.

You can also easily tell whether you are picking up reloads or factory brass............and unless they look stupid used, both will load and shoot just fine.
    I meant with the brass being "once" fired....not that anyone's taking a chance with their life. No one I know can tell a once fired case from a twice fired case, for example. Once fired vs. many times fired, perhaps.

9mm brass at std. pressures or +P, most that will happen with a work hardened case is splitting the case, assuming it's a good case to start.

Now if a case that's cracked near the base, but the mouth is good and it gets through your process and loaded, you're likely going to have a problem.
    Last edited by mizer67; 08-09-22 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Why is this? The only issue I've ever had with a range pick up was a few 223 case separations over the last 30 years... and that just happens from time to time with no damage to anything.

9mm brass is pretty much a commodity. Buying it is absolutely insane in my opinion. It's everywhere. Just pick it up. Any reloader worth a shit doing any sort of inspection can cull damaged brass.
    I meant in the brass truly being "once" fired. I wouldn't stand behind that statement unless I knew that it came from a range that only shot new ammo, got a lot of it as part of training and didn't allow anyone to use it for personal use.

Not concerned about safety of straight walled pistol cartridges loaded to std. pressures, if the brass is undamaged to begin with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    What's their reasoning?
    Usually "safety" if asked. But their house, their rules so it matters not.

First it was reloads, now it's also steel and aluminum. The bottom line is they want to re-sell the brass as "Grade X" and not have to pick out the other stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

First it was reloads, now it's also steel and aluminum. The bottom line is they want to re-sell the brass as "Grade X" and not have to pick out the other stuff.
    Yep. There's a lot of scrap value if you get the amount of brass a range does.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I get what you are saying now. The two ranges I frequent don't make a big deal about it. I figure if I clean it up I am entitled to keep it.

I won't generally use brass that has the gLoCk smiley on them and they're pretty easy to spot. Haven't seen much of that lately anyway, so perhaps gLoCk changed something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I get what you are saying now. The two ranges I frequent don't make a big deal about it. I figure if I clean it up I am entitled to keep it.

I won't generally use brass that has the gLoCk smiley on them and they're pretty easy to spot. Haven't seen much of that lately anyway, so perhaps gLoCk changed something.
    In 2009 Glock increased case support, especially in 9mm's and .40's.

But other common guns other than older Glocks can have less than desirable case support. S&W Sheilds are one. Some companies, including Starline Brass, do not recommend +p use in 9mm Sheilds.

Feedback Score
    The best pricing I've been scouting out for 9mm brass at at about $34/1K and they cover shipping over $25 is here:

https://www.usreloadingsupply.com/9m...ed-brass-luger

This is cleaned and polished as well, so saves you that step.
    I've ordered from them. It's the only used brass I've bought and I did to save me time out in the sun bending over scouring range brass.

About 1/3 of the brass has crimped primers. I assume this is common when buying / picking up 9mm brass.

I'm on a turret press so it's not that big of a deal. Every 1/10 or so a primer will come out with resistance and sometimes a new one won't seat so I stop, bevel the primer pocket, then continue.

But on a progressive press I believe it's a much bigger problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    In 2009 Glock increased case support, especially in 9mm's and .40's.

But other common guns other than older Glocks can have less than desirable case support. S&W Sheilds are one. Some companies, including Starline Brass, do not recommend +p use in 9mm Sheilds.
    I have more 9mm brass than I can easily store right now, so I haven't range hounded a lot very recently. I don't doubt what you are saying is true, but in nearly all cases that I have seen the smiley, it also has the tell tale gLoCk primer strike (rectangle-ish). Good to know they fixed their case support issue as I didn't like reloading those cases.

To contribute more than just a sideways venture, I never buy pistol brass so I don't have any relevant information to add. I do buy rifle brass and have found brass bombers to be excellent for 556/762 brass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast