Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Guns: Please School Me

Feedback Score

Pocket Guns: Please School Me

I have recently gotten interested in Pocket Guns for carry for those times nothing else will work.
    Do you all have any recommendations which pistols to consider? Caliber? Holster, or no holster? Ammo? Generally anything someone just starting out in that category of firearm should know.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I use a S&W 442 for a BUG in a Mika pocket holster. You want a holster for 1) to keep the gun consistently positioned 2) break up the outline of the gun and 3) you will destroy the pocket over time without a holster. I'm not into mouse rounds so .38spl & 9mm are go to cartridges. It is loaded with 38 Special +P 135gr Gold Dot. I prefer the shape of a hammerless J-frame over a squared off shape off and auto when drawing from my front pocket, it feels less prone to snagging.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    On the very rare times that I carry a small gun it is a Glock 26 with a +2 mag extension or depending on the pants I will even use a Glock 19 mag. I use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster to break up the outline and save my pockets.

Here is my issue with small revolvers, harder to use than the Glock and less rounds than the Glock. I almost always will have a full sized spare mag in my other pocket.

The old saying you never need a pistol, until to REALLY NEED a pistol is true. So carry something that will give you the ease of use and number of rounds you might need.

All my pistols are loaded with Underwood Leighi Defense 65 or 68 grain ammo either in 9mm or 357 sig
    Last edited by yoni; 08-02-22 at 04:41.

Feedback Score
    G43(X) or 442 or similarly sized, vetted gun in an A Holster is about as good as it gets. I’ve ditched pocket carry and carry the above in a JMCK AIWB holster when size is an issue.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    LCP in a pocket holster, loaded with quality FMJ.

LCPs are small, pretty snag-free, and light. Mine was purchased at a deep discount after Ruger introduced the LCPII ($175?). I use the pocket holster supplied with the pistol and load FMJ because I am not convinced expanding bullets are viable in the 380.

I had to shoot a hundred rounds or so before it was reliable with the original 6 round magazine. It was and is reliable with both 7 round Ruger mags I bought and the 6 rounder Ruger sent when the first had issues.

Edited

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-02-22 at 07:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Pocket Guns: Please School Me

The Sig P365 (9mm with a 10 rounds magazine) would easily fit in a pocket.
    I like Uncle Mike’s or Blackhawk pocket holsters.
    Last edited by 202; 08-02-22 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    S&W Shield is my pick. Just one of those guns you pick up and can shoot well the very first mag. Chambered in a real caliber... and has a decent capacity for a pocket gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I still carry a hammerless (no snag) J-frame for the pocket in either a Galco horsehide pocket holster or a Milt Sparks PCH. I prefer the PCH as it has a wire insert that allows you to shape it a little for better concealment. Both are horsehide with the rough side out so that the holster will grab the fabric of your pants and stay put upon drawing. Speed strips are an easy way to carry a reload, but are slower than speed loaders or moon clips.

Glock 43 would be my next choice but I haven't yet found a holster I like. Two extra rounds in the gun and a loaded mag in the offside pocket would be nice.

As far as caliber, I see no reason for going below .38/.357 in revolvers or 9mm in autos. There are guns available in these calibers that are already small enough for easy concealment and offer better terminal performance than smaller rounds. For revolvers I carry Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot Short barrel only. For 9mm I would personally use 147 gr. Gold Dot Gen 2, but here I think there are many options that would work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd add a G43 to this method of carry. I'd never carry one without a holster. It's mandatory.

Anything even marginally larger than a G43 and I'd rather carry on the waist somewhere & there really needs to be no other option. Also, anything double stack I find too large (and typically heavy) for a pocket.

I've never been a J-Frame person, but for this type of application it has its merits.

Feedback Score
    I prefer to not go below 9mm.

Kahr CM/PM9 is smaller than a 38 snub, has less felt recoil, quicker follow up shots and greater capacity.
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sson-model-642

Sig 365 and PM9 (The PM9 is what most people consider pocket size; some regard the Sig 365 as "too big" to be a pocket gun, guess it depends on the pockets.)
    365vsPM9a.jpg
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast