Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Guns: Please School Me

Feedback Score
    I appreciate everyone’s comments. While I agree pocket guns are not ideal for self-defense, at times it is all that is available for me. I do not have the option to dress around a larger firearm, but I still want to be armed. I am not at a point in my life where I can totally avoid those situations, either due to work or familial commitments. I assume I am not alone with this issue.

Under those circumstances, is no firearm better than a pocket gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree. Any gun you can carry is better than the one you have to leave at home. Also a smaller caliber you can shoot well is better than a “manly” one you can’t, but try to keep it a duty caliber if possible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I use a S&W 442 for a BUG in a Mika pocket holster. You want a holster for 1) to keep the gun consistently positioned 2) break up the outline of the gun and 3) you will destroy the pocket over time without a holster. I'm not into mouse rounds so .38spl & 9mm are go to cartridges. It is loaded with 38 Special +P 135gr Gold Dot. I prefer the shape of a hammerless J-frame over a squared off shape off and auto when drawing from my front pocket, it feels less prone to snagging.
    This is my goto for pocket gun and 38 is the smallest round I would use. I also go hammerless. I think I have a soft Blackhawk holster but not positive. It does have a hook in case I want to put on my waist. Any gun is better no gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    A G43 definitely fits some pockets, unless your wardrobe consists mainly of skinny jeans and PT panties.
    Oh it fits, just doesn't come out like a 442 and I wouldn't consider USA made double duck canvas Carhartts either one.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 08-03-22 at 15:30.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Happy1 View Post
    I appreciate everyone’s comments. While I agree pocket guns are not ideal for self-defense, at times it is all that is available for me. I do not have the option to dress around a larger firearm, but I still want to be armed. I am not at a point in my life where I can totally avoid those situations, either due to work or familial commitments. I assume I am not alone with this issue.

I can and do find ways to dress around the issue, and there's a ton of options to do so. I think you will find some simply not going to capitulate that point and some will. Considering how small some 9mm offerings are today, and the IWB that can pretty much disappear, etc, mouse guns just don't add up in my view anymore. There's things that look like they hold a phone, that hold a gun (see sneaky Pete products), belly band products like ComfortTac, and various other options. You just need to find which will work for you, but one will work.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

.32 FMJ is, in my educated opinion, the smallest practical self defense cartridge. Even from a subcompact barrel, the data suggests that it can indeed get the job done. It leaves little to no margin for error, though. Heavy clothing, barriers, oblique angles, and appendages blocking the vitals are all likely to cause a failure.

That said, those same things apply to most if not all .380 HPs and many 9mm HPs even. If the average consumer knew the first thing about ballistics, .380 HPs would cease to exist, and most people would be carrying 9mm ball.

The main thing is avoid the temptation of carrying it unless it's absolutely necessary. Don't fall into lazy habits where you start carrying the .32 when you could carry a 9mm instead. If it's truly a situation where you have to choose between the .32 and nothing at all, I doubt anyone here would argue that nothing is better than something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I can and do find ways to dress around the issue, and there's a ton of options to do so. I think you will find some simply not going to capitulate that point and some will. Considering how small some 9mm offerings are today, and the IWB that can pretty much disappear, etc, mouse guns just don't add up in my view anymore. There's things that look like they hold a phone, that hold a gun (see sneaky Pete products), belly band products like ComfortTac, and various other options. You just need to find which will work for you, but one will work.
    Sometimes there simply is no dressing around it. Swim trunks? It's the P32 or nothing at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    S&W Shield is my pick. Just one of those guns you pick up and can shoot well the very first mag. Chambered in a real caliber... and has a decent capacity for a pocket gun.
    COVID lack of travel got me from my FS M&P9 to a Gen 1 Shield. Just so easy for the few times I would leave the house to pocket it. Better than not jocking up the IWB set-up as I ran a short trip.

Shield in a Desantis pocket holster. Outside of a nice dinner, I wear cargo pants and I made a Kydex two-mag carrier that fits in my left thigh pocket. So, 7+1, +8, +8.

I like the Desantis holster. Can get a good grip on the gun.

In some ways I prefer the pocket carry. Filling up with gas, or when I don’t like things- I already have my hand on my gun, while looking less dangerous.

Have a RDS on it and looking at a little light to add to it. I just got a Sig P365X that I’m looking for a holster for.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Oh man my wife, who also used to chase terrorist would bounce off the ways if I told her that. Her carry gun is a cZ P07 full house Cajun gunworks.

We were at a social setting and an other guest a male who new nothing of our backgrounds, said something stupid about gunfighting . My wife replied that she hoped nobody was taking him serious because what he just said would get you killed in a gun fight. He got all pissy and wanted to argue our hostess, a friend from back in the day in Israel walked over and asked the guy how many gun fights have you been in ? He replied none . She then turned to my wife and using her nickname from back in the day "little lamb how many gun fights have you been in"? My wife replied are you asking gun fights with bullets going both ways or just how many terrorist I have killed? The hostess then turned back to the guy and told him if either one of them gives you any advice on gun, fighting , terrorism or war, pay attention.

The guy was silent for the rest of the night.
    When does your movie come out?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm all about a small gun being better than none. I used to pocket carry, but I have found that I can actually conceal a small gun better on my beltline better than in a pocket. A jframe in Sticky or other minimalist holster really disappears for me. Maybe I'm just wearing the wrong pants, but I find having the gun in an actual pocket awkward and clunky, but a minimalist holster masks a gun under a t-shirt.

I'm old fashioned and use a 642 and a PPK that's been dead reliable for me, but I'm looking at going to a P365 for times I want something with more capability that's smaller than a compact Glock or Sig.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

When does your movie come out?
    Never. It is one thing to give a small little crack into what life is, but never more than that. I actual still do reserve duty which in-tales something so sophisticated it makes the polygraph what it really is a guess at the truth.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast